The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Looking for any information on Officiating Boards charging officials an assessement fee for games officiated. On our Board in CT, we are charged an 8% assessement fee that goes to the Assigning Commissioner and pays for his time and related expenses. This fee is charged for all games (recreational or school level) assigned. This fee is paid at the end of the season.

I am trying to find out if this is a unique situation to our Board or very common across the country.

Does your Board charge a fee?
If so how much?
What state do you officiate in?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate in the provice of Ontario, my local association charges 12% of every game officiated. It's taken off the game fee, so when we recieve our cheque, we recieve the net of our games fees and this fee.

From what I understand 10% goes to the assignors and the other 2% goes to help upkeep our local board. But I could be wrong with that.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know of an assignor who doesn't collect a fee.

In our association, all officials pay a $65 booking fee.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am a little confused here.

Are you saying that you a charged a fee based on the entire season, rather than just dues to an association?

I live in Illinois and the officials do not play any kind of fee like that up front that I am aware of. In some areas the conferences have assignors and the schools pay the assignor for assigning those games. The officials do not even have to deal with that personally. If officials live in an area where there is not conference assignor and the schools assign the games, then of course they do not have to pay out anything as well.

I have never heard of such a fee. Then again our associations do not control assigning for the most part either. So that is not something we deal with here.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]I am a little confused here.

Are you saying that you a charged a fee based on the entire season, rather than just dues to an association?
----------------------------------------------------------

On our Board (CT), we are charged a set dues that this year is going up to $115 per official, we are also assessed an 8% assessement on all games assigned (all rec & school games).

Hope this clears up the confusion.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why does your board not just pay fees based on games and not ask the official to come up with money after the season? In other words, put the games assigned into the budget of your board (association) and base dues on what that fee might come to?

I guess I do not understand why this is not done all within the working budget of your group. All of my associations play assignor (if that is even needed) based on what they might do for us. It is usually in the budget or factored in with all of our other expenses.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

I belong to the Waynesville/St Robert Official Association in Missouri actually location is Fort Leonard Wood. We have dues $25.00 a year and an assessment fee of $1.00 per games assigned by the Commissioner of the Sport.

http://www.wsroa.org
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I officiate in the provice of Ontario, my local association charges 12% of every game officiated. It's taken off the game fee, so when we recieve our cheque, we recieve the net of our games fees and this fee.

From what I understand 10% goes to the assignors and the other 2% goes to help upkeep our local board. But I could be wrong with that.
In addition to this 12%, we have to pay $10 if we make over $1000, and I believe it was a $95 registration fee in addition to this.

And lastly, you're IAABO fees are not included in this.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

What in the world is cheque? Hehe. In Louisiana the schools pay the officials directly so the money never runs through the assignors hands.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I guess I do not understand why this is not done all within the working budget of your group. All of my associations play assignor (if that is even needed) based on what they might do for us. It is usually in the budget or factored in with all of our other expenses.

Peace
The reason is that the commissioner doesn't want to be an employee. The association wants no employees. So they juggle the money in this way rather than just stirring the fee into the overall mix.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The reason is that the commissioner doesn't want to be an employee. The association wants no employees. So they juggle the money in this way rather than just stirring the fee into the overall mix.
I am not a lawyer, but how is that any different than a conference playing the assignor to assign games?

Peace
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I am not a lawyer, but how is that any different than a conference playing the assignor to assign games?

Peace
Do you mean, "...how is that any different than a conference PAYING the assignor to assign games?"

I ask because that's the third time that you've wrote PLAY or PLAYING instead of PAY or PAYING.

If the association, with whom the assignor is a member, pays the assignor, the are IRS ramifications with regards to an employee vs. an independent contractor.

Also, different associations is different areas of the country are setup differently. Or have you never heard that different areas do things differently?

Our associattion dues are only $10 a year. so there's no way the assignors are getting paid from the 4000 measley dollars that we take in from membership. Each official pays a booking agent $65 for any post he officiates. The association doesn't benefit financially when I work a game. So why should the association pay the assignor to assign my games? Assignors have to be available to the schools from 8-5, 5 days a week. Most of them don't work regular jobs during the season. They have to be fairly compensated for their work.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

In MO we pay our association fee of $25. When we get paid for a game, it's our money. The schools pay the assignors an amount (I think it's $2-3) per official they assign.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Here in Tidewater VA, we pay a 7% fee and 75.00 dues at the beginning of the year.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:38am
Ref Ump Welsch

Here in Omaha, Nebraska, the Midwest Officials Association charges $35 for annual dues. That goes to the assignor and the board, etc., for operating expenses. That's just for basketball. Football was $25 last fall (since it was the association's first fall doing football, after about 10 years of doing just basketball). We are not charged a per game fee or anything like that. I don't know the specifics of the association's contract with the Metro Conference (the big school conference here in the Omaha area), so don't know if there's any monetary exchange there.