Thread: assessement fee
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I work in eastern Iowa/Western Illinois and basically book my own games directly with the school AD or am assigned them by a league commissioner. I get virtually no games through my association, it's main function is really training, rules meetings etc. If games are assigned by a league commissioner, I believe the schools pay them a fee for their services. I like it this way, I pick where I want to work and when. Doesn't take that much of my time to get a schedule together. Once the school AD's get to know you they send you an availability sheet prior to each season, or sometimes will call you, and you just let them know the dates you are available. Other than the dues I pay to the state high school association each year, that is it for me. I think paying someone 10-13% of my game fee is outrageous. I also get paid for all of my games either on the night I work or within no less than one week later. I can't imagine not getting paid until the end of the season. No way would I go work a JV/Varsity double for $80.00 and pay some clown $8.00-$10.00 for sending me a contract. I think that the five minutes it takes me to fill out an availability form or talk to someone on the phone is worth saving the money. Also, if you are paying the assignor out of your game fee, are you paying taxes on his cut too?