Thread: assessement fee
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The reason is that the commissioner doesn't want to be an employee. The association wants no employees. So they juggle the money in this way rather than just stirring the fee into the overall mix.
I am not a lawyer, but how is that any different than a conference playing the assignor to assign games?

Peace
Do you mean, "...how is that any different than a conference PAYING the assignor to assign games?"

I ask because that's the third time that you've wrote PLAY or PLAYING instead of PAY or PAYING.

If the association, with whom the assignor is a member, pays the assignor, the are IRS ramifications with regards to an employee vs. an independent contractor.

Also, different associations is different areas of the country are setup differently. Or have you never heard that different areas do things differently?

Our associattion dues are only $10 a year. so there's no way the assignors are getting paid from the 4000 measley dollars that we take in from membership. Each official pays a booking agent $65 for any post he officiates. The association doesn't benefit financially when I work a game. So why should the association pay the assignor to assign my games? Assignors have to be available to the schools from 8-5, 5 days a week. Most of them don't work regular jobs during the season. They have to be fairly compensated for their work.