View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe some of the (really) older poeple can help out on this, but I was under the impression that a long time ago, the captain actually had specific duties during the game. Over time, these duties have diminished, to where I believe one of the few things left a captain can do is designate who will shoot technical foul shots (along with, of course, a coach). As far as the distinction between a "floor" captain and "speaking" captain, I would think that came about due to what happens when one is substituted for in a game. Now, I think the designation of a captain is largely ceremonial, with no real duties, so designating one is really not that necessary. However, during the pre-game I do congratulate them for getting the big bucks now that they are a captain. I have also been told NEVER ask them if there are any questions, because that opens you up to, "Hey, ref, I wanted to ask you about the other night..." Don't give them that opportunity. But we still have to mention sportsmanship here in IL, and I tell them good luck. Short and sweet, because they don't need (and don't want) a "pre-game" like we do in the locker room.

(Used with permission.)