LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
"Badaba-do, badaba-de, sportsmanship, good luck and have fun". That's what they hear.
OK, I've heard of scooby-doobey doo

I've heard of doobie-doobie doo

I've heard of yabba dabba doo

I've even heard of badda-bing badda-boom

but I've never heard of Badaba-do, badaba-de
You missed "Obla-di, Obla-da"

(pic of John, George, Paul and Ringo goes here)
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stilerng
Dan_ref - That's some great picture work! You guys crack me up for sure! Yoda was hilarious!
Other than the funny stuff though - Really guys? We can't give an interesting enough meeting to hold the players or coaches attention for one minute or so? Is it possible that because of this players don't listen and by the end of the season coaches don't even attend? Have you ever finished this conference and had a coach say, "That's the best captains meeting I've ever heard" ? I have and I say this meeting can have some significant meaning if we'll put some effort into it. It's up to us! If most of us don't care to though we'll continue with the same ceremonial, mundane, meaningless, required meeting. We can do better as officials than just go through the motions, pick up our checks, and take our free showers. Ooops, maybe I've gone too far. No offense (unless it will help)
Wow, I thought I was anal. Get a load of Mr. Best captains' meeting I ever heard! Let's hurry up and give him the state championship.

You do a lot of 6th grade girls, don't you.

That wasn't intended to be as mean as it sounded, I was just having some fun at your expense, but seriously, as almost everyone else here has told you, the players DON'T CARE one bit what you say in that stupid meeting, and the coaches just want your name so that they can beg for calls during the game.
Once you understand that you are eligible for promotion to freshmen girls.

Might I suggest worrying more about your game control once the ball goes up and less about how wonderful your pregame talk was.

And I've never had a coach tell me after the game, "You guys called a terrible game tonight, but I loved your pregame meeting."
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

OK, Mr. Nevadaref. As much as I would like to I will not reply directly to your comments. I realize I may ignorantly be addressing an NCAA div 1 official. (God help us)

I had hoped this was site for serious officials. Sorry!

I'll keep working on my game. ALL OF IT.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

it is.......

Quote:
Originally posted by stilerng
OK, Mr. Nevadaref. As much as I would like to I will not reply directly to your comments. I realize I may ignorantly be addressing an NCAA div 1 official. (God help us)

I had hoped this was site for serious officials. Sorry!

I'll keep working on my game. ALL OF IT.
It is for serious officials......and most serious officials concentrate on areas other than pre game conferences....areas such as correct calls at correct times...game managment, rules knowledge, advantage/disadvantage
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy C & C meeting

It is for serious officials......and most serious officials concentrate on areas other than pre game conferences....areas such as correct calls at correct times...game managment, rules knowledge, advantage/disadvantage...

At the start a young official asked a question. Why didn't someone just tell him immediately that serious officials do not talk about such insignificant things? Of COURSE these are all more significant but they were not the subject.

Why is there an presumption that because one tries to make the best of a comparitively insignificant part of the game that the rest of his officiating lacks, and to the point of insults? Why wouldn't the assumption be that if one is serious about such a minor he must be serious about the whole package? Why is there offense taken at the idea that this meeting can be constructive?

I sure did not make the assumption that because the majority think the meeting is a waste that the rest of their game was lacking.

Please forgive me for using the word "I". It wasn't mean't to give the idea that I'm wonderful but just that a good C & C meeting is possible. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 06:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
What's with the legally equipped question? I've seen this in football, but basketball?
I ask that in every sport I work. You better. Or at the very least we are required to ask a question so that the coach cannot later say we did not do what we are supposed to do. It puts the onus on the coaches, not just the officials.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 06:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
This is not meant to pick on ref18, I am just using this as an example for my comment.

[quote}"Hi guys, what's up, I'm Julian and that's ........"

I've noticed in these threads about pregame as well as allowing my partner to handle the pregame that alot of refs introduce themselves by first name. "Hi, I'm Sally and this is Jim" and so on.

Am I the only one that introduces myself as Mr.

I just feel that it is this type of relaxed atmosphere that has been leading to a downfall in respect amongst our youth. I see it everywhere now. Kids calling their coaches by their first name, my kids call their Scout Master by his first name etc... It just bugs me.

< End Rant >
[/QUOTE]

No, you are not the only one. I am not as rigid with college players, but teenagers are not equals to the officials. I think that calling adult by their first name is really not appropriate. Then again that is how I was raised. I still call adults that were adults in when I was a kid Mr. or Ms. to this day.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
What's with the legally equipped question? I've seen this in football, but basketball?
I ask that in every sport I work. You better. Or at the very least we are required to ask a question so that the coach cannot later say we did not do what we are supposed to do. It puts the onus on the coaches, not just the officials.

Peace
Why? Is it some due diligence? Does it absolve us from some liablity? If little Susie gets maimed in a tragic hair-clip accident, will having asked this question save my butt at trial? I have a hard time believing that asking "Are all your players legally equipped?" is going to save anybody's behind.

If some bozo in PA gets acquitted for assaulting an official because he said he didn't know the guy in the striped shirt was an official, then why should we expect that the courts will hold the coach liable for an injury if all he has to say is, "I didn't know it was illegal for my players to carry automatic weapons?"

How would I prove that the question was ever asked or answered? I say I asked and the coach said his players were legally equipped. My partner says, "Yeah, we usually ask that question, I think the coach said yes." The coach says he doesn't recall being asked. That team's captains say they weren't paying attention, the other coach and captains say they're not even sure there was a captains meeting.

If this is about making the coach liable for his players being legally equipped, then it seems to me that you'd have to be able to prove two things in court: that the coach knew, or should have known, what it is he was certifying; and that the coach did, in fact, certify that his players were legally equipped. I don't see how we meet either criteria by asking this question in the captains meeting.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Mar 25th, 2005 at 06:55 PM]
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Why? Is it some due diligence? Does it absolve us from some liablity? If little Susie gets maimed in a tragic hair-clip accident, will having asked this question save my butt at trial? I have a hard time believing that asking "Are all your players legally equipped?" is going to save anybody's behind.

If some bozo in PA gets acquitted for assaulting an official because he said he didn't know the guy in the striped shirt was an official, then why should we expect that the courts will hold the coach liable for an injury if all he has to say is, "I didn't know it was illegal for my players to carry automatic weapons?"

I cannot speak for every state. I am not a lawyer or do not know why specifically this is required. But this puts some liablity on the coaches if the players are not properly equip, then they have to bear some responsiblity. They know what their players are wearing or what their uniform consists of better than we do.

Quote:
How would I prove that the question was ever asked or answered? I say I asked and the coach said his players were legally equipped. My partner says, "Yeah, we usually ask that question, I think the coach said yes." The coach says he doesn't recall being asked. That team's captains say they weren't paying attention, the other coach and captains say they're not even sure there was a captains meeting.
Well considering there are at least two officials present, players and coaches as well, I would assume someone might remember the conversation. First of all I cannot speak for what goes on in PA or any other state. I just know we are required to do this in Illinois in all sports. Now I am sure some lawyers came up with this and decided this would put more liability back on the coaches. Whether that is true or not, I am not sure. I just know we are required to ask this every game. It is not a big deal to me, it is so common and the first thing I say when I am the Referee, Plate Umpire or white hat.

Quote:
If this is about making the coach liable for his players being legally equipped, then it seems to me that you'd have to be able to prove two things in court: that the coach knew, or should have known, what it is he was certifying; and that the coach did, in fact, certify that his players were legally equipped. I don't see how we meet either criteria by asking this question in the captains meeting.
Again, I think this is an issue for each state. The laws might be different where it does not matter one way or another where you live.

Peace