Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Captains Meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by stilerng
It can also be a useful tool in addressing problems that have been brought to the state or local associations attention (or our own) such as points of emphasis. Early in the season I sometimes give a reminder of important rule changes.
Why? No offense, but do you think the captains go back to their lay-up lines and say, "Hey guys, closely guarded counts are a point of emphasis this year. They're going to count tonight."?

They aren't listening. And even if they are (which they're not), they aren't taking that info back to their benches. So just do intros, get floor captains (not "speaking" captains, ok?) and let them get back to their warm-ups.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Captains Meeting

Quote:
Yes, introductions should be Mr. or Mrs.

[Edited by stilerng on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 10:12 AM]
For a two-man crew, "Hi, I'm Larry and this is Daryl."

For a three-man crew, "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl and this is my other brother Daryl."
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

floor captains

Chuck,
I see you denoted a difference between floor and speaking captains...No one has really been able to answer for me, why we ask for either? Maybe you can explain why, in the captains meeting you would want to know the Floor captains, or speaking captains, for those that want to call them that...I can honestly see no reason, because much as you say they aren't listening to what we say or at the very least not taking it back to the team, which I agree with by the way LOL...are we not going to interact with anyone but the floor captains...again I say I will talk to anyone who addresses me in a respectful way...I may talk to those that address me in a non-repectful way as well LOL
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Captains Meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
No offense, but do you think the captains go back to their lay-up lines and say, "Hey guys, closely guarded counts are a point of emphasis this year. They're going to count tonight."?
Of course not.

But what they will say when they head back to the lay-up lines is this, "Man, did you check out the gut on that one?"

"Yeah, but what about the other dudes breath?"
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: floor captains

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Chuck,
I see you denoted a difference between floor and speaking captains...No one has really been able to answer for me, why we ask for either? Maybe you can explain why, in the captains meeting you would want to know the Floor captains, or speaking captains, for those that want to call them that...I can honestly see no reason, because much as you say they aren't listening to what we say or at the very least not taking it back to the team, which I agree with by the way LOL...are we not going to interact with anyone but the floor captains...again I say I will talk to anyone who addresses me in a respectful way...I may talk to those that address me in a non-repectful way as well LOL
3-1-1 and 2. Notice how it just says captain.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

don't have the books with me

BZ,
I don't have the books with me, give me a little more of a quote if you would thanks
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: floor captains

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Maybe you can explain why, in the captains meeting you would want to know the Floor captains, or speaking captains,
The floor captain is the guy I can go to and say, "Number 55 is getting rough. You want to handle it or do you want me to?"

The speaking captain is the guy who thinks the "speaking" part gives him the right to come to me 100 times and say, "Sir, they're pushing off every time they have the ball."

I prefer to have a floor captain.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

3-1-1 says: Each team shall consist of five players, ONE of whom is the captain.

3-1-2 says: The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essental information, if it is done in a courteous manner.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
3-1-1 says: Each team shall consist of five players, ONE of whom is the captain.

3-1-2 says: The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essental information, if it is done in a courteous manner.
Ok thanks BZ I am with you now, but here is my point....When we are at the captains meeting, and we ask for a floor/speaking captain, what happens if that player isn't on the floor when one of the players has a question?? This has been my point all along, if we are going to recognize and talk to anyone anyway(and I certainly will, with the sportsmanship caveat) then why ask for one at the meeting??...
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe some of the (really) older poeple can help out on this, but I was under the impression that a long time ago, the captain actually had specific duties during the game. Over time, these duties have diminished, to where I believe one of the few things left a captain can do is designate who will shoot technical foul shots (along with, of course, a coach). As far as the distinction between a "floor" captain and "speaking" captain, I would think that came about due to what happens when one is substituted for in a game. Now, I think the designation of a captain is largely ceremonial, with no real duties, so designating one is really not that necessary. However, during the pre-game I do congratulate them for getting the big bucks now that they are a captain. I have also been told NEVER ask them if there are any questions, because that opens you up to, "Hey, ref, I wanted to ask you about the other night..." Don't give them that opportunity. But we still have to mention sportsmanship here in IL, and I tell them good luck. Short and sweet, because they don't need (and don't want) a "pre-game" like we do in the locker room.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Captain, coaches meeting

Hey, this is fun!

Saddle - That was GREAT! I'm still laughing!

Chuck - Floor captains? I've not seen that term in the books but I like it! Semantics can matter tremendously. Speaking captain does give the wrong impression to some.

B Zebra- Thanks for the rules specification. (3.1.1,2) Good job! That's where I got the term "respectfully".

Matthews - No Offense but it maybe you shouldn't bother with the meeting at all.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Captain, coaches meeting

Quote:

Matthews - No Offense but it maybe you shouldn't bother with the meeting at all.
Stylerng,
Rest assured if the meeting wasn't part of protocol outlined in the book I would skip it, and I would venture to say, more of us here would skip it, than would hold it, if not required...... Like was mentioned above, they don't listen to us anyway......
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

"Badaba-do, badaba-de, sportsmanship, good luck and have fun". That's what they hear.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
"Badaba-do, badaba-de, sportsmanship, good luck and have fun". That's what they hear.
OK, I've heard of scooby-doobey doo

I've heard of doobie-doobie doo

I've heard of yabba dabba doo

I've even heard of badda-bing badda-boom

but I've never heard of Badaba-do, badaba-de
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Smile c & c meeting

Dan_ref - That's some great picture work! You guys crack me up for sure! Yoda was hilarious!
Other than the funny stuff though - Really guys? We can't give an interesting enough meeting to hold the players or coaches attention for one minute or so? Is it possible that because of this players don't listen and by the end of the season coaches don't even attend? Have you ever finished this conference and had a coach say, "That's the best captains meeting I've ever heard" ? I have and I say this meeting can have some significant meaning if we'll put some effort into it. It's up to us! If most of us don't care to though we'll continue with the same ceremonial, mundane, meaningless, required meeting. We can do better as officials than just go through the motions, pick up our checks, and take our free showers. Ooops, maybe I've gone too far. No offense (unless it will help)