View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't see how these state associations can "approve" the wearing of the gray shirts when the NFHS Rules Book doesn't permit it. It clearly specifies the proper uniform.

Rule 2 Officials and Their Duties
SECTION 1 GAME AND TABLE OFFICIALS
ART. 1 . . . The official's uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black pants, shoes and socks.

Perhaps the NFHS will make that change this summer.
Even the NCAA had to modify their manual this season to allow the 3 inch black insert in the sideseam for their officials.

Of course, we know that this is really just about someone making money. The shirt manufacturers see this as a great way to potentially double their revenue. If each official has to have both shirts in his bag, then they sell twice as many shirts.

Since I officiate soccer, I can tell you that multiple shirts is one of the worst deals for an official that you can imagine. We have FOUR different colors and two styles (short sleeve and long sleeve). That's eight shirts that need to be packed into a bag for games. Besides the expense of the additional shirts, the possibility of forgetting or losing one is greatly increased.

IMO just say no to the people pushing the grays. They do not have the best interests of the officials in mind.

The states can do whatever they want. The NFHS doesn't mandate anything. Otherwise there'd be no high school shot clock anywhere and we know that's not the case.