The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

I saw a referee friend at Wal-Mart and he asked me a question. It had never happened to he or I but it was a good question anyway, here goes: A1 shoots and is fouled by B1 while the ball is in the cylinder it is touched (and tapped in ) by A2.
What is the call?
shoot 2 and go the other way? Because the contact stopped the clock? would you even signal basket interference?
What is the step by step procedure in this instance?

Thanks
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DEW on 12-24-1999 01:09 AM
I saw a referee friend at Wal-Mart and he asked me a question. It had never happened to he or I but it was a good question anyway, here goes: A1 shoots and is fouled by B1 while the ball is in the cylinder it is touched (and tapped in ) by A2.
What is the call?
shoot 2 and go the other way? Because the contact stopped the clock? would you even signal basket interference?
What is the step by step procedure in this instance?

Thanks

What you have here is a foul on Team B and Basket Interference on Team A. Since Team B committed the foul first, you would charge B with a personal foul and DO NOT count the basket. Team A would then be shooting 2 shots with everyone lined up as normal.

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ed M on 12-24-1999 02:36 AM
What you have here is a foul on Team B and Basket Interference on Team A. Since Team B committed the foul first, you would charge B with a personal foul and DO NOT count the basket. Team A would then be shooting 2 shots with everyone lined up as normal.

Good call, If I ever see this in the heat of battle, I hope I can remember to handle it just like that.

[This message has been edited by Ralph Stubenthal (edited December 24, 1999).]
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 05:26pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Originally posted by Ed M on 12-24-1999 02:36 AM

With all due respect Ed, that is incorrect.

Just because B1 commits a foul does not give the rest of his team free reign on committing basket interference. The ball is still live - if it wasn't, we couldn't count any made baskets after fouls because a goal is only scored when a live ball passes through a team's basket.

Here's the case reference for you:
quote:

NF Casebook - 9.11.2E.
Play: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1. While the ball is in the cylinder above the basket, A2 touches the ball.
Ruling: The basket interference by A2 causes the ball to become dead and no goal can be scored. A1 is awarded two free throws and players occupy spaces and play continues as normal when the last free throw is made or missed.

It follows that if B2 had touched the ball while it was in the cylinder it would be defensive basket interference and you would score the goal.

So, if this ever happens in a game be sure to count the basket and give the fouled player one shot.

One more thing - this is the trail's (and center's, if applicable) responsibility. If you have BI on a goal and the lead has a foul please do NOT go tell him, "Count the basket." (something you should never say anyway). Say, "I have basket interference on so-and-so." This way the reporting official can take care of business at the table by scoring the basket and awarding the correct number of free throws.

Those of you still wondering what you should normally say instead of "Count the basket." when the ball actually does go in?... "The ball went in."
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Brad, isn't your case identical to the first scenario?
Basically, you have a foul after a shot but before ball goes in, and a BI by the offense, so no basket due to BI, and free throws due to the foul.
Are you guys saying the same thing only different?
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Richard,
There you go again twisting your words to me what I mean.

Hee,hee! Happy Holidays!
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Boy if I don't get fingers for Christmas which can type, I don't know what I will do.

Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 01:40am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 12-24-1999 07:17 PM
Brad, isn't your case identical to the first scenario?
Basically, you have a foul after a shot but before ball goes in, and a BI by the offense, so no basket due to BI, and free throws due to the foul.
Are you guys saying the same thing only different?

Yep - you caught me on that one! Sorry folks - I'll lay off the egg nog!

Nice call guys!

Later,
Brad