The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Has anyone every witnesses an official take out his personal dislike for a team, player or coach with his whistle? I watched it happen two weeks ago. Without going into the grizzley details, has anyone ever witnessed it or worked with a partner who did it?
BTW - in Illinois, the IHSA assigned one crew to work the three regional games being played at the same sight (Tues., Wed., & championship on Fri.). Bad move because anymosity that arised on day one was certain to remembered on day 3!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jonwill57
Has anyone every witnesses an official take out his personal dislike for a team, player or coach with his whistle? I watched it happen two weeks ago.
BTW - in Illinois, the IHSA assigned one crew to work the three regional games being played at the same sight (Tues., Wed., & championship on Fri.). Bad move because anymosity that arised on day one was certain to remembered on day 3!
Bad ol' officials screwed your team, eh?

Bad referees!

Bad, bad referees!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Has anyone every witnesses an official take out his personal dislike for a team, player or coach with his whistle? I watched it happen two weeks ago. Without going into the grizzley details, has anyone ever witnessed it or worked with a partner who did it?
I have never seen that happen. Not to say it has never happen, but I can never say I have actually witnessed an official hold that grudge where they call things purposely against. Now I have coaches not like certain officials and make that opinion known.

I also have no problem with what the IHSA does. I worked this year a Class A and Class AA Boy's Regional and I worked at one site for each regional. I would have hated to have to go to different cites each of those nights. Different traffic concerns each night. Different parking issues each night. Different administration to deal with each night. I would rather work at one site with the same officials. Regionals are also assigned based on where people live, so there are not always officials that would be able to go all over the place as you suggest. I think I was only about 20 miles away from my regional site and fortunately did not see any of the teams this season. That is something the state cannot guarantee anyway. The state does not know who everyone has seen or not seen. So I could have a tough game during the regular season with a team and see that team in the playoffs. Who says I would not hold a grudge when I see the team in the playoffs?

No matter what you do, someone is going to find something to complain about. I think that both coaches and officials need to turn the page. Assigning different officials to each game is not going to guarantee that animosity between officials and coaches will not exist. Many officials work around 30+ games and see teams multiple times between Thanksgiving and X-mas tournaments, shootouts, and regular season games. I know if I was sent to certain regionals in my area I would have seen some of the teams 3 times this year at least by their first regional playoff game. You are never going to satisfy everyone with who works these games. When I watch the D1 conference tournaments, some of the same officials are seen multiple times. You are not going to avoid every conflict in every game. If the coaches do not want something to carry over, do not act like an a@@ in the first game.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 06:38pm
Administrator

Quote:

Every game I officiate I choose a team to hate with a passion that knows no bounds. I make sure that I call five or six fouls on its players before I call a single foul against its opponent's player. When a player of its opponent's team dribbles the ball extremely high I never ever call an illegal dribble against the player. If a player if its opponent's team gains a legal guarding position but is moving backwards and gets run over by the player with the ball, I always call a player control foul. As you can see I am the worst basketball official that ever lived.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 07:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Every game I officiate I choose a team to hate with a passion that knows no bounds.

I usually flip a coin myself.

Loser loses.

Heeheeheeheehee......
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

This is my favorite accusation. I ref about 20-25 games a week intramurals and the second week a team was Whacked for cussing at me within the first few minutes. They are like "you are just holding a grudge from last game"... I had no clue what they were talking about till I talked to the captain calmly after the game and he said his teammates thought because I gave one of them a tech last week I had a grudge.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

If your team plays man-2-man and the other team plays zone, you will be called for more fouls than the other team. This is because your team will foul more, not because the refs have in for you. Get used to it, get over it, get on with your life.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

jonwill57,

When it all boils down, we (my referee brotheren) really want to see good basketball and we really don't care who wins. If you saw something different, I wasn't there so I can't speak. Maybe you witnessed a 1 in a 1000 ref who did as you say.??? If I was a betting man, I'd bet not.

Here's an example for you: Missouri State Class 5A game this weekend. Poplar Bluff vs Vashon (USA Today had Vashon as #1 in nation ((even though no other publication agreed)) ) Poplar Bluff has 6'10" Tyler Hansbrough who is going to be a TarHeel next year. As a neutral observer, I thought Vashon beat the crap out of him. I ran into a friend who was there cheering Vashon and he stated that he thought they allowed Tyler to get away with alot. 1 game and yet 2 different people with 2 different obervations. As a neutral observer, I was there for the basketball so it was no big deal to me. Do you see where I'm going? Everyone has there own agendas and they will oftentimes see what they want to see and they will be convinced that that's what they saw.

BTW, Poplar Bluff won by 14 and Hansbrough is ready for D1.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
If your team plays man-2-man and the other team plays zone, you will be called for more fouls than the other team. This is because your team will foul more, not because the refs have in for you. Get used to it, get over it, get on with your life.
Also if one team drives the lane and the other pulls up and takes uncontested 3-pointers there will be a difference in the fouls.

Not to mention one team is a bunch of thugs and the other plays basketball.

Coach said to me "It's 6 team fouls to 1", I replied "You're right!"

CYO coach said "It's 8 team fouls to one, what do I?", I replied "Tell your kids to stop fouling"
Next Time Out he says "You guys have got to stop fouling"

I nearly busted out laughing.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Has anyone every witnesses an official take out his personal dislike for a team, player or coach with his whistle? I watched it happen two weeks ago.

Bad referees!

Bad, bad referees!
Oh, wicked, wicked Referees. Oh, they are naughty people and they must pay the penalty, and here in Officials Forum, we have but one punishment for officials screwing a team, you must tie them down on a bed and spank them.

A spanking! A spanking!

You must spank them well, and after you have spanked them, you may deal with them as you like, and then, spank me.

And spank Jurassic.

And JRutledge.

And MTD.

Yes. Yes, you must give us all a good spanking!

A spanking! A spanking! There is going to be a spanking tonight!

This reply was adapted from words to Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail.

[Edited by Daryl H. Long on Mar 14th, 2005 at 01:31 PM]
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Bad referees!

Bad, bad referees!
Oh, wicked, wicked Referees. Oh, they are naughty people and they must pay the penalty, and here in Officials Forum, we have but one punishment for officials screwing a team, you must tie them down on a bed and spank them.

A spanking! A spanking!

You must spank them well, and after you have spanked them, you may deal with them as you like, and then, spank me.

And spank Jurassic.

And JRutledge.

And MTD.

A spanking! A spanking! There is going to be a spanking tonight!

This reply was adapted from words to Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail.

[Edited by Daryl H. Long on Mar 14th, 2005 at 01:31 PM]
Daryl has issues today. That ain't right!
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
And then. . .?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
And then. . .?
Well, I could stay a bit longer...
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
And then. . .?
My discretion as a Preacher prohibited taking my post any farther.

"The penalty ... shall be spanking. No more, no less."

"And then..." is "right out".
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And then. . .?
My discretion as a Preacher prohibited taking my post any farther.

"The penalty ... shall be spanking. No more, no less."

"And then..." is "right out".
Saved from near certain temptation.