The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

In Yuma AZ, the YUMA High nickname is the Criminals.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
My HS alma mater is located in Fluvanna County, VA. We are the Flying Flucos. "Fluco" is short for Fluvanna County. There have been numerous attempts to create a mascot that would go along with "Fluco"-- all to no avail. Currently, the logo is a flying "F." Although it used to be a flying foot, much like the symbol most of us see track teams use. As a result of the flying foot logo, the gym here is referred to as "The Shoebox."

Waynesboro High School, just over the mountain from me, call themselves, The Little Giants. Harrisonburg High School, home of George Toliver's Daughter, are the Blue Streaks.

One time when I was travelling in West Virginia, I seem to recall a high school there in Polk County who called themselves the Dots.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
I've officiated games for the Fisher Bunnies. By the way, the Jr High mascot is the Scotties (the dog).

Where are you from M&M?
[Edited by mikesears on Mar 9th, 2005 at 11:14 AM]
I live only 5 miles from the Assembly Hall, home of the #1 basketball team in the country, in Champaign.

I'm familiar with the Scotties as well, because I refereed one of my first games in that gym. There was no room along any of the sidelines. The benches were up on the stage, along with the table; the kids had to jump up and down off the stage to go in and out of the game. The stands were permanent and raised on the other side, complete with railings in front. (If anyone has ever been to the Corn Palace in South Dakota - it's set up the same way except 10 times smaller...) The endlines were only about a foot from the brick walls, so they set up "restraining" lines about a foot in from the actual endlines for the throw-ins. And finally, the floor was so small they had the three lines across the center of the court - one center line, and two other lines on either side of the circle. They would use the center line as the 10-second line, then the furthest of the three lines away from that team's basket as an "over and back" line, because the center line was only about 10 feet from the top of the key. Imagine being a new official trying to learn all the "real" rules, and trying to keep straight all the lines as well. Geesh.

I believe they recently built a new grade school and tore this one down. But the Scotties still remain.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:38am
Jerry Blum

I thought Effingham HS in Illinois used to be the "Flaming Hearts".

I think Speedway HS in Indiana is nicknamed the "Sparkplugs", I could be wrong about that. Speedway is the part of Indianapolis where the Indianapolis Speedway is located.

That's all I can remember. "Pretzels" was one that I had heard off before but can't remember the school in Illinois.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

More Indiana

Speedway Sparkplugs (about a halfmile from the motor speedway)

Rockville Rox

Cloverdale Clovers

Forest Park Rangers

Plymouth Pilgrams
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum

I think Speedway HS in Indiana is nicknamed the "Sparkplugs", I could be wrong about that. Speedway is the part of Indianapolis where the Indianapolis Speedway is located.

That's all I can remember. "Pretzels" was one that I had heard off before but can't remember the school in Illinois.
You're right - Effingham is still the Flaming Hearts. And I believe Freeport (in northern IL) are the Pretzels and Lady Pretzels. And I just remembered the Vandalia Vandals.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Boiler-

Despite your obvious affiliation with the other school, you must be an OK guy since you wear the stripes. You working this weekend?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I found this website that lists just about every one there is, and includes all of the ones that we have mentioned thus far. It is pretty interesting.

http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascot.html
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:47pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
my wife was a Ft. Branch Twig in jr. high in Southern Indiana near Evansville, there is also the Owensville Kickapoos, but they are Indians I think.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum

You're right - Effingham is still the Flaming Hearts. And I believe Freeport (in northern IL) are the Pretzels and Lady Pretzels. And I just remembered the Vandalia Vandals.
They are the New Berlin Pretzels. (That's New BER'-lin, not ber-'LIN).

Here is a link to the IHSA website:

http://www.ihsa.org/school/schools/newberln.htm

Kind of like Athens, IL (pronounced Ay-thens) and San Jose, IL where the "J" makes the "J" sound and not the Spanish "H" sound. and the "E" is silent.

[Edited by mikesears on Mar 9th, 2005 at 12:51 PM]
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Grew up near Effingham so I know the "Flaming Hearts" and T-Town "Wooden Shoes". Cobden, in Southern Illinois, known for it's fruit orchards has the "Appleknockers".
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

I live only 5 miles from the Assembly Hall, home of the #1 basketball team in the country, in Champaign.

I'm familiar with the Scotties as well, because I refereed one of my first games in that gym. There was no room along any of the sidelines. The benches were up on the stage, along with the table; the kids had to jump up and down off the stage to go in and out of the game. The stands were permanent and raised on the other side, complete with railings in front. (If anyone has ever been to the Corn Palace in South Dakota - it's set up the same way except 10 times smaller...) The endlines were only about a foot from the brick walls, so they set up "restraining" lines about a foot in from the actual endlines for the throw-ins. And finally, the floor was so small they had the three lines across the center of the court - one center line, and two other lines on either side of the circle. They would use the center line as the 10-second line, then the furthest of the three lines away from that team's basket as an "over and back" line, because the center line was only about 10 feet from the top of the key. Imagine being a new official trying to learn all the "real" rules, and trying to keep straight all the lines as well. Geesh.

I believe they recently built a new grade school and tore this one down. But the Scotties still remain. [/B]
Go Illini!!!!!

I am in Bloomington. When I still worked basketball games, I worked my first ever game at Fisher Jr High. Are the fans there still as rowdy as they used to be? That court was so small! Glad to hear they built a new school (hopefully with a larger gym).

Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Grafton, ND "Spoilers" (apparently they spoiled the season for an opponent many years ago)

Starkweather,ND "Stormkings" and "Stormqueens" (joined with Munich, ND and are now the "Purple Storm")

Sauk Centre, MN "Mainstreeters" - (home of Sinclair Lewis who wrote "Main Street") affectionately known as the "Streeters"

Hope, ND "Hustlers"

Montpelier, ND "Purple Martins"

Drayton, ND "Bombers"

Valley City, ND "Hi-Liners" (refers to very high railroad trestle)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I found this website that lists just about every one there is, and includes all of the ones that we have mentioned thus far. It is pretty interesting.

http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascot.html
They missed Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Virginia. The nickname is “The High School.” EHS, founded in 1839, was the first pure high in the state.

BTW, if you want to send your child to EHS it will cost you just under $32,000 a year.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mikesears and M&M Guy,

Did you guys not see my Pretzel post at the beginning?

BTW, there was a guy trying to write a book about the nicknames of Illinois High Schools. This guy came to a Fox Valley Football Official's meeting a few years back and had information on just about every name and some history. He knew why schools had unusual names and their origin. I do not know what happen with that book idea, but he had a lot of good information.

Peace