The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I was working with a guy last night and he posed me with a question about something that took places in a previous game was curious what you guys thought.

JV girls game the gaurd is dribbling the ball then loses the ball(on own not deflected). She runs to retrieve the ball and the ball is about to cross the line so she uses her foot and stops it by placing her foot on top and rolling it backwards, and picks it up. He called a voliation I can't recall which one he called.

It can't be a kick she is on offense right?

Not a travel never moved when she picked it up right?

Could have been a double dribble if she would have dribbled but did not right?

Just a odd ball things was wondering what you guys thought

Thanks
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:09am
In Memoriam

A kicked ball violation applies to any player on the floor- offense or defense. You can't use your feet to gain an advantage. If you do, violation. See rule 4-29. That definition says "intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. That covers your play. Violation as per rule 9-4.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

A coach question, can someone explain what "intentionally" striking it with leg or foot means please? I have been in games lately where that is called a lot, especially if the offense makes a bad pass and it deflects off the thigh, knee or shin of a defensive player. The ref will call a kicked ball and it returns to the offense. Seems like it is a bad pass to me and the defense is penalized for getting in the way.

I still can't seem to get a handle on how and when this is called. Any explanation would be appreciated so I can teach it correctly to my girls.

thanks,
Coach Gbert
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Similar to a "hand ball" in soccer...did the ball hit the foot, or did the foot hit the ball? If a pass hits a leg, without the defender moving the leg, or making an attempt to move the leg, it should be "play on." However, if the defender made the slightest move to deflect the ball with a leg, it should be ruled intentional, and a violation called. IMO

Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:02am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Similar to a "hand ball" in soccer...did the ball hit the foot, or did the foot hit the ball? If a pass hits a leg, without the defender moving the leg, or making an attempt to move the leg, it should be "play on." However, if the defender made the slightest move to deflect the ball with a leg, it should be ruled intentional, and a violation called. IMO

That's an excellent description of how the play should be judged.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A kicked ball violation applies to any player on the floor- offense or defense. You can't use your feet to gain an advantage. If you do, violation. See rule 4-29. That definition says "intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. That covers your play. Violation as per rule 9-4.
Does "placing" one's foot on top of the ball really equal "striking" it?

If I place my hand on your head, have I really punched you?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Yes.

Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

1) Yes

2) From what I've heard...if you place your hand on my head...you must be standing on a chair.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
A coach question, can someone explain what "intentionally" striking it with leg or foot means please? I have been in games lately where that is called a lot, especially if the offense makes a bad pass and it deflects off the thigh, knee or shin of a defensive player. The ref will call a kicked ball and it returns to the offense. Seems like it is a bad pass to me and the defense is penalized for getting in the way.

I still can't seem to get a handle on how and when this is called. Any explanation would be appreciated so I can teach it correctly to my girls.

thanks,
Coach Gbert
Moving your leg in the path of the ball with the intention of keeping it from going where it's headed.

If the bad pass hits your player's leg it is not a kicked ball.

If this bad pass is struck by your player's leg it IS a kicked ball.

The key word in the rule is INTENTIONALLY.

It is not a kicked ball if:

1. The ball hits you.

2. You dribble it off your leg.

3. The ball is knocked into your leg.

4. The ball is loose and the player is doing the old Charlie Chaplin...or was it Buster Keaton?...bend over, reach and accidentally kick it trick.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
[/B]
2) From what I've heard...if you place your hand on my head...you must be standing on a chair. [/B][/QUOTE]LOL. What's the old saying? Chuck has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the a$$.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
2) From what I've heard...if you place your hand on my head...you must be standing on a chair. [/B]
LOL. What's the old saying? Chuck has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the a$$. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's pretty good JR.

I thought I would give Chuck a chance to respond to my good natured insult.
I just knew he was going to say something like, "Yea, if my hand was on your head...it would probably be because you were on your knees."

Call me a thug...but, that's how I would have responded.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Short jokes aside, you conveniently forgot to answer the second question in my post. I agree that the spirit of the rule is to prevent using the feet to control the ball. However, without a specific definition to the contrary, touching is not striking.

(A specific definition to the contrary would be like the definition of "intentional" as it pertains to intentional fouls.)
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
I depends on whether or not you've bought me dinner first.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Short jokes aside, you conveniently forgot to answer the second question in my post. I agree that the spirit of the rule is to prevent using the feet to control the ball. However, without a specific definition to the contrary, touching is not striking.

(A specific definition to the contrary would be like the definition of "intentional" as it pertains to intentional fouls.)
Chuck, the original post said that the player stopped the ball from rolling OOB by placing her foot on it. She then rolled the ball backward to herself. Now, I certainly don't have a Ph.D in anything, but that kinda implies to me that force had to be applied to the ball to get it to do those little tricks--stop it first and then give it a complete change of direction. Simply touching the ball would also affect it-even minutely- by applying a l'il bit of friction, wouldn't it? Isn't the over-all effect to actually control the ball with the foot, no matter what?

Btw, I thought the "intentional" part was a given.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that kinda implies to me that force had to be applied to the ball to get it to do those little tricks--stop it first and then give it a complete change of direction. Simply touching the ball would also affect it-even minutely- by applying a l'il bit of friction, wouldn't it? Isn't the over-all effect to actually control the ball with the foot, no matter what?
We're just talking semantics, now, b/c I totally agree that the original play is illegal. The spirit of the rule is to prevent a player from using his/her feet to play the ball.

And on top of that, the word "strike" doesn't even appear in the kick rule, except in a note that mentions "unintentionally striking" the ball.

Having said all that, applying a force is not striking. Pushing a shopping cart is applying a force, but that doesn't mean you're striking the shopping cart. Preventing a seated person from rising is applying a force, but is not striking that person.