The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Obnoxious, loudmouthed thug or deranged senile idiot?

You decide.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7031681/
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

C) All of the above.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Chaney took himself out of the Atlantic 10 tournament tonight too. Don't know about the NIT, which is where Temple is probably gonna end up. Temple and/or the league shoulda suspended him for the rest of the year. There were rumors flying around that Martelli of St. Joes was gonna refuse to coach in the A10 tournament if his team ended up meeting Temple and Chaney was there. Bad situation.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

How about basketball genius, too. Invented the matchup zone defense that all the big schools employ. If he had the players that Wooden or Dean Smith had, he would have won national championships too.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
How about basketball genius, too. Invented the matchup zone defense that all the big schools employ. If he had the players that Wooden or Dean Smith had, he would have won national championships too.
Would a basketball genuis resort to this:

Quote:
Chaney, angered by what he thought were illegal screens by Saint Joseph’s, inserted seldom-used, 6-foot-8, 250-pound Nehemiah Ingram against the Hawks on Tuesday to “send a message.” Ingram fouled Bryant hard, sending him sprawling to the floor.
BTW, Ingram broke Bryant's arm, ending his senior season. I guess there's genius in that too?

Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Thug?

THUG?

I know what he did was not the best thing or the smartest situation, but thug?

I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.
Oh Jeez

BTW, I do not condone anything that he did. I think it is sad. But I also feel he did exactly what many coaches do, he just made the dumb mistake and admitted to it.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Would a basketball genuis resort to this:

Quote:
Chaney, angered by what he thought were illegal screens by Saint Joseph’s, inserted seldom-used, 6-foot-8, 250-pound Nehemiah Ingram against the Hawks on Tuesday to “send a message.” Ingram fouled Bryant hard, sending him sprawling to the floor.
BTW, Ingram broke Bryant's arm, ending his senior season. I guess there's genius in that too?

Dan, how many times did Red Auerbach bring in a "goon" to "send a message"? Did it take away from his basketball genius? One has nothing to do with the other. You cannot stand here and say Chaney is not a basketball genius and has not contributed immensely to the game. Let's be fair to Chaney. He mad a mistake and he has admitted it. Move on.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Chaney warned during an Atlantic 10 conference call on Monday that he would send in a “goon” if the screens weren’t called."

From the article. To me, this tells me it wasn't just a mistake. It was premeditated. He had a long time to think about it before the game even started; and he still did it. If it had been a heat of the moment thing in a highly competitive environment, it would be one thing. But this is premeditated assault. He should be charged, and he should be fired.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

"If it had been a heat of the moment thing in a highly competitive environment, it would be one thing. "

What do you call the end of the season with the tourney coming up? While of course what he did was wrong, remember coaches are under constant pressure and competition. They are watching tapes, practicing, scouting, drawing up plays, etc. Some coaches completely make the game their world, especially at this time of the year. The actual gamr for a good coach is the calmest time of their work. If they prepared well, they can sit back and make adjustments.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan, how many times did Red Auerbach bring in a "goon" to "send a message"? Did it take away from his basketball genius? One has nothing to do with the other. You cannot stand here and say Chaney is not a basketball genius and has not contributed immensely to the game. Let's be fair to Chaney. He mad a mistake and he has admitted it. Move on.
He didn't say that he wasn't a basketball genius. One can argue that point if you like.

What he's saying is that none of that excuses what he did.

This was a premeditated act that he threatened almost a week before the game was even played. He had pumped himself into a frenzy regarding what he perceieved as illegal screens. He planned this before the ball was even tossed.

And he followed through with it, didn't he?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
"Chaney warned during an Atlantic 10 conference call on Monday that he would send in a “goon” if the screens weren’t called."

From the article. To me, this tells me it wasn't just a mistake. It was premeditated. He had a long time to think about it before the game even started; and he still did it. If it had been a heat of the moment thing in a highly competitive environment, it would be one thing. But this is premeditated assault. He should be charged, and he should be fired.
OK, it was a premediated mistake. You mean charged as in criminally charged???? Any attorneys here. I sincerely doubt this would be considered assault. I've seen some illegal screens that could be construed as assault.......He should not be charged, but he may be fired.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He ordered a player, after considerable forethought, to go out and physically assault the opponents. That's what I call it when someone intends to foul someone hard. Just because it's in a basketball game doesn't make it ok to assault someone. The precedent has already been set for charges against a player. Yes, I think criminal charges could be justified. Doesn't the guy who hires the goons deserve something?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
"If it had been a heat of the moment thing in a highly competitive environment, it would be one thing. "

What do you call the end of the season with the tourney coming up? While of course what he did was wrong, remember coaches are under constant pressure and competition. They are watching tapes, practicing, scouting, drawing up plays, etc. Some coaches completely make the game their world, especially at this time of the year. The actual gamr for a good coach is the calmest time of their work. If they prepared well, they can sit back and make adjustments.
I call it a week of premeditation. In other circumstances, it's the difference between 1st and 3rd degree murder.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
He ordered a player, after considerable forethought, to go out and physically assault the opponents. That's what I call it when someone intends to foul someone hard. Just because it's in a basketball game doesn't make it ok to assault someone. The precedent has already been set for charges against a player. Yes, I think criminal charges could be justified. Doesn't the guy who hires the goons deserve something?
Snaq, are you a criminal lawyer? If you are not, your comments are merely your opinion. I've learned in my life it is prudent not to speak expertly on a topic you know little about. By the way, what precedent? For a hard foul?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Not a good deal. By admitting to this he opens himself and the University up for a law suit.
Closed Thread