The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

So the answer to the question...exception does not apply.

NCAA: Rule 10-3-12, A.R. 2; Rule 10-3-13; Rule 10-4 Penalty
1. Indirect T for hanging on the rim.
2. Indirect T for dunking a dead ball.

Penalty: 2 FT's and resume play with AP arrow. (1st T happened while ball in flight after miss of the first dunk attempt therefore status of the ball was not in possession of either team). Rule

FED: Rule 10-3-4: Penalty (all Articles)

1. T for hanging on the rim and dunking a dead ball. Assessed directly to the player.

Comment: FED rules do not split up grasping and dunking into separate Articles as does NCAA therefore I am inclined to only assess 1 T. If otherwise it would require ejection which I believe to be too severe for this case)

Penalty: 2 FT's plus ball for division line throw-in oposite the table.
2 FT's and ball OB at division line opposite the table for the offended team.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Does it make any difference if the dude hangin on the rim is a graduating Senior who was last year's Captain and has been out all season due to an automobile accident and this is the last game and you're in final minute of a 25 point blowout and coach put him in so he could score and break a career scoring record?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be interested to hear how people from the "Protect The Star Player" thread answer this one....
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 06:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
Does it make any difference if the dude hangin on the rim is a graduating Senior who was last year's Captain and has been out all season due to an automobile accident and this is the last game and you're in final minute of a 25 point blowout and coach put him in so he could score and break a career scoring record?
Only if he's wearing 00.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 06:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Only if he's wearing 00.
Assuming the book sayz "0". I'd be more concerned if he was wearing "01." Is the official wearing a belt?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Had this same call last night. A1 missed his initial dunk attempt, hung on the rim (no players under him), was able to grap the ball and attempt another dunk (missed second also). My partner (as lead but trailing the play on the transition) calls the "T". The crowd goes nuts (called "T" on home team). We shoot and inbount at half court. Play on. At a time out break, a local camera crew (special high school sports program) came over to ask what happened. When I explained he remarked, "guess that one we can't show then". I remarked, maybe you should and have a rules section on the show to make our life a bit easier.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Only if he's wearing 00.
Assuming the book sayz "0". I'd be more concerned if he was wearing "01." Is the official wearing a belt?
No belt as it's sub varsity game. Kid should be allowed multiple attempts cause he's in 8th grade and any 8th grader that can hang on the rim and repeat a dunk attempt should be allowed to.

Seriously though, how many of us put the "zebra press" on the team that's up by 30 (sub varsity) just to send the cute little girl to the line that obviously never gets to play and feel proud of ourselves for doing so...it's only after she shoots air balls that land halfway to the hoop and we've embarrassed her that we feel silly. I'll admit to calling "an official's time out" to tie my shoe or check on an injured player (only to find out the "injured player" had no idea what was happening) just to give a coach the opportunity to substitute his "career bench warmers") at the end of a game...one of the very few things you can do and PROBABLY not get booed - MAYBE!
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Dittoo,

Make no difference who the dude is. He could have just as easily just layed the ball in the basket.

Think up all the scenarios you want but my answer is still the same.

BTW: Why should I ignore illegal activity just so the player could "feel good"? It would be a whole lot easier if the scorer would just transfer 2 points from another player so he could break the record. That way the player could still "feel good" about breaking the record and I keep my integrity.