The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Timer assumes ball goes out of bounds and stops the clock. A1 retrieves ball, clock restarts, but now A1 has enough time to go all the way down the court and score at the buzzer. Officials don't allow the score. Overtime.

If the clock had never been stopped, A1 would have shot a half court shot. Seems like Team A was penalized by the ruling, but Team B would have been penalized if the basket was allowed.

Refs let the players decide the game by going to OT. Not a bad decision in my book. Oh, this game was highlighted on Sportscenter.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

But wait! They can't do that!! What about 5 dash something and 2 dot something else??!!! What other rules are they gonna set aside???!!!!

(Great job by that crew IMO.)
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I loved how the coach ran his players off the court after the basket in regulation; as if the refs would say, "You know, we should go to OT, but since the howlermonkey pulled his team off the court, we'll just give them the basket."
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:54am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I loved how the coach ran his players off the court after the basket in regulation; as if the refs would say, "You know, we should go to OT, but since the howlermonkey pulled his team off the court, we'll just give them the basket."
Had a situation like this earlier in the season. Team B scores with about 3 seconds left. Quickly calls time out (they are now down by 2), I blow my whistle and I'm watching the clock (when I blow it dead there's 2.2 seconds left), the horn sounds. The home team, who was by 2, goes out onto the court, however their coach very very quickly starts grabbing his players one by one and throwing them back over towards their bench whenever he saw that time was going to be put back on the clock. It was actually kind of funny how quickly he was doing this. I call my partner over (he's R) and tell him we are going to put time back on the clock. He says that we'll go with what I've got. Anyways, we put 1.2 back on, and the game was quickly over, home team still won by 2. Great game!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Anyways, we put 1.2 back on, and the game was quickly over, home team still won by 2. Great game!

OOPS!!!

You should have put 2.2 seconds back on the clock.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Anyways, we put 1.2 back on, and the game was quickly over, home team still won by 2. Great game!

OOPS!!!

You should have put 2.2 seconds back on the clock.
You are absolutely right. But I feel a related rant coming on....

Don't get me started on how inconsistent this all is -- if the timer can stop it before it gets lower than 1.2 we call it "lag time" and let it alone. If it gets to 1.1 seconds, however, we put it all the way up to 2.2.

I know that's the right procedure, but there's something quite wrong about it.

--Rich
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

If it goes to 1.1, I ain't touchin' it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And we all know what to do if it stops at 2.8, right?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Next stop.....

Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Got a good twilight zone timer story....

After half time, I see the clock show:

7:00
6:59
99:99
99:98

Whistle. By the time the clock is stopped, of course it shows 6:56. Everyone in the gym is wondering why I stopped the game. I ask the timer (starting to doubt that I actually saw 99), if something funny happened to the clock?

He says, "it does that". We continue. My partner, the fans, and the players are looking at me like I rode the short bus to the game. I got a good chuckle out of it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't feel well today, Snaq. So I guess I'm not thinking straight. Help me out.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
I don't feel well today, Snaq. So I guess I'm not thinking straight. Help me out.
2.8 seconds seems to be the magic time at which weird plays happen. The original "official-wrongly-chops-in-time" play started with 2.8 seconds left. And I believe there have been a few others that started with 2.8 ticks left.
The consensus here after the 2nd or 3rd one was that if I'm ever reffing a close game and the clock stops at 2.8, it's time to seriously consider an alternate escape route.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You are absolutely right. But I feel a related rant coming on....

Don't get me started on how inconsistent this all is -- if the timer can stop it before it gets lower than 1.2 we call it "lag time" and let it alone. If it gets to 1.1 seconds, however, we put it all the way up to 2.2.

I know that's the right procedure, but there's something quite wrong about it.

--Rich
I agree Rich. What I see from this is that the timer's thumb is allowed lag time, by our eyes are not.

I had a final a month ago (JR: at ASC with John L.) and the coach who was losing calls a TO right after he scores. Clock reads 0.2s when it stopped. As the old lead (new trail after the made basket), I knew the request was coming, so I was looking right at the clock when the whistle went. It said 0.8s. Perfect. After I see the clock stop correctly, I then signal the timeout.

My P asked me after the game why did I not signal the TO right away. I told him that the only element that would get us in trouble was a mishandled clock. The girls on the clock were excellent all weekend. Delaying the TO signal is nothing compared to knowing the entire clock situation. Had a coach complained, I have all definite knowledge I need to properly rule.

Funny thing was the team winning by 2 commits a throw-in violation, and now B has a chance to tie/win. With just 0.2s, the game was over when B player caught the pass.

If I was A, I would have just thrown to ball to B on my initial possession. B would not be expecting it, and human reaction would say he would catch the ball. Oh darn, game over. Even if the ball goes in. LOL
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Tony, normally you are correct on every post, but I think on this one, you must reset to 1.2. If tenths of a second don't count for much, they why do we measure them?

I think that in a game where the last possession can win the game, an official knowingly not resetting the clock to it's proper value by rule, has done a disservice to the game, even if the official is the only one that knows.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Tony, normally you are correct on every post, but I think on this one, you must reset to 1.2. If tenths of a second don't count for much, they why do we measure them?

I think that in a game where the last possession can win the game, an official knowingly not resetting the clock to it's proper value by rule, has done a disservice to the game, even if the official is the only one that knows.
He CAN'T reset to 1.2 in NFHS rules -- he MUST reset to 2.2 if more than one second lagged off. THAT's the rule.