View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You are absolutely right. But I feel a related rant coming on....

Don't get me started on how inconsistent this all is -- if the timer can stop it before it gets lower than 1.2 we call it "lag time" and let it alone. If it gets to 1.1 seconds, however, we put it all the way up to 2.2.

I know that's the right procedure, but there's something quite wrong about it.

--Rich
I agree Rich. What I see from this is that the timer's thumb is allowed lag time, by our eyes are not.

I had a final a month ago (JR: at ASC with John L.) and the coach who was losing calls a TO right after he scores. Clock reads 0.2s when it stopped. As the old lead (new trail after the made basket), I knew the request was coming, so I was looking right at the clock when the whistle went. It said 0.8s. Perfect. After I see the clock stop correctly, I then signal the timeout.

My P asked me after the game why did I not signal the TO right away. I told him that the only element that would get us in trouble was a mishandled clock. The girls on the clock were excellent all weekend. Delaying the TO signal is nothing compared to knowing the entire clock situation. Had a coach complained, I have all definite knowledge I need to properly rule.

Funny thing was the team winning by 2 commits a throw-in violation, and now B has a chance to tie/win. With just 0.2s, the game was over when B player caught the pass.

If I was A, I would have just thrown to ball to B on my initial possession. B would not be expecting it, and human reaction would say he would catch the ball. Oh darn, game over. Even if the ball goes in. LOL