Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
We are not at all saying the same thing. You are saying that the NF way is the only way and the right way. I am saying that the "right way" is based on where you live and what is required. That might be in conflict with what the NF wants. Again, the NF does not give playoff assignments. The NF does not run clinics in most areas if at all. Officiating is as much about philosophy as it is what the book says or does not say. I have yet to see an official call a player control foul and use the NF mechanic in all the playoff games I have watched. So I am sure giving a preliminary signal being used or not is not always going to be considered a big deal.

Peace
If you will read my post, you'll see that I said that if that's the way it works in Rich's area great. I'm sorry if you cannot either read or comprehend, but I am used to that from you. I didn't say it was the only way.

Proper high school mechanics during high school games are a big thing in my area. If Sara said she forgot her preliminary mechanic, it sounds as if prelim signals are important in her area too. Where I work, evaluators care about how the game is called and they also care very much about how the signals are communicated as well. Having the complete package is never a bad thing.

Z
And I won't disagree with you there, especially since you said the evaluators also care about how the game is called.

I apologize if I was sounding too negative, but I've had quite a bit of experience with the "we don't care what you're call is as long as you look good making it" types of people.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

After reading the first post in this thread, I'm not sure exactly how it turned into this.

Sara's evaluator said he wanted to see preliminary signals. Now I don't think it really matters how important we think preliminary signals are, but what does matter is that the evaluator said he wanted to see them. When an evaluator tells me I'm doing something wrong, I fix it without question. If your area doesn't believe in giving preliminary signals, great, but if you officiate in an association like mine where everything is expected to be done by the book, then you better do it by the book.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

If you will read my post, you'll see that I said that if that's the way it works in Rich's area great. I'm sorry if you cannot either read or comprehend, but I am used to that from you. I didn't say it was the only way.

Proper high school mechanics during high school games are a big thing in my area. If Sara said she forgot her preliminary mechanic, it sounds as if prelim signals are important in her area too. Where I work, evaluators care about how the game is called and they also care very much about how the signals are communicated as well. Having the complete package is never a bad thing.

Z
All evaluators are not made the same. All evaluators do not have or carry the same weight. If an evaluator tells me something, it is possible that what they are telling me can and are in conflict with another evaluator or clinician. If you attend many camps you will find different opinions on the very same thing. This is why you have to ask around and figure out what is acceptable. Maybe this particular evaluator is not someone that has any playoff consideration and just works for the local association. Or the person might be a person that reports back to the people that gives out playoff games and other evaluators have been telling officials to do things that are outside of that philosophy. Sometimes an official does not have one solid voice on what to do and what not to do. Not everyone comes from an association that does everything for the official. I think you need to consider that this evaluator just might not have any real say in how this official progresses. I personally can evaluate officials for my local association, but I have no pull to who gets playoff games or how quickly that official advances.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
... but I'm just anticipating that the assignor told her this for no reason other than "it's in the book." To me, it's lazy evaluating.

Whenever I evaluate someone in baseball, I always explain WHY something is important. Because it's in the manual isn't a good enough answer, not in my book.

We agree 100%.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

As far as calling the game, I agree that it is the most important thing, and that part of the evaluation went well.

He told me to use preliminary signals for two reasons:

1) Sometimes I seemed like I was in a rush to get to the table, so he said by giving a preliminary signal, I would have to slow down and everything would go more smoothly.

2) He said that it is not one of those things that make or break an official, but it is one of the small things that may, down the road, help seperate me from other official(s).

I didn't know people got so passionate about preliminary signals.

Sara
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
You should see how we get when we're talking about subsequential signals!!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Or pants!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Or pants!
I understand the pants, but it's shoes that seem to get people really edgy. Patent leather or not? Don't even get 'em started.

Sara
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Or pants!
I understand the pants, but it's shoes that seem to get people really edgy. Patent leather or not? Don't even get 'em started.
You ain't heard nothin' till you heard the belt/no belt, pleats/no pleats discussion. It makes the patent leather arguement sound like a kindergarten lesson.