The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Great job by the AD!

He stands there and listens to this coach talk about officials in front of another official, and says nothing. I wonder what they get together and talk about after the game!

Sounds like a winning program.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Tim you are absolutely right - I should have given him one. He even asked for one early in the second half.
Smitty, you know the smart-aleck reply to this, don't you? "Coach, if I have to stay here through the rest of this crap, so do you!" I'm not suggesting you say that, but it's something to think about.
Smitty,

One of his comments was along the lines of "Every time we tried to bring the ball down they'd lean on our girls. I was all over the ref about the contact, and the only reason he didn't T me was because he knew I was right." Just thought you'd like to know.... He also told the AD that he had threatened to call the commissioner directly.

FYI, I had these teams at their first game at the beginning of the season. He was a pain in the butt then too, but the game was a little closer and he was actually doing some coaching instead of just complaining.

Guess it goes to prove the adage that coaches don't necessarily make the best officials - and vice versa.....
It's amazing how many times that I give the coach the "stop" sign that he stops reffing and starts coaching again. And his team does better! Amazing!
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Great job by the AD!

He stands there and listens to this coach talk about officials in front of another official, and says nothing. I wonder what they get together and talk about after the game!

Sounds like a winning program.
I never said he didn't say anything. What he did do was calm the coach down & end the conversation as quickly as possible - best course of action IMHO in a public area. I've known him for years & he's a class act. I have no doubt he will take care of business in the appropriate place and time.

Smitty,

FYI, it turns out that my partner at Lakeridge last night wacked this same JV coach on Tuesday for similar conduct...
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Smitty,

FYI, it turns out that my partner at Lakeridge last night wacked this same JV coach on Tuesday for similar conduct...
I'm still kicking myself for not ringing him up, but I won't take any more of that crap from anyone. Funny, ever since that game I've been so relaxed and having fun. Worked a couple 8th grade girls this morning and thought JA Jr. was gonna blow a gasket. He wanted to handle every tough scenario by himself (we had an intentional elbowing and a clock error and a correctable error sitch). He screwed up a couple of them but every time I tried to step in and help, he shooed me away. After the first game, I just tell him calmly "Jim, let me help - you don't have to do everything by yourself". I just think some guys should know when it's time to hang it up.