The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1. The ball is partially blocked by B1. The force of the foul (and of the blocked shot) causes the ball to richocet off B3 and into the basket. Do you count the basket? What if it was inside or outside the 3-pt. arc and B3 was inside the arc?

Play 2: Team A scores a field goal. On the ensuing throwin, Team B violates by 'kicking' the ball. Does Team A still have access to 'running the baseline'? What if team B fouls prior to a completed throw-in?

Play 3: Team A attempts a 3-pt. shot. B1 fouls in the act of shooting, and the ball is partially blocked. The ball lands a few feet in front of the basket and bounces into the goal. Is the basket good and/or how many free throws?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
Play 1: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1. The ball is partially blocked by B1. The force of the foul (and of the blocked shot) causes the ball to richocet off B3 and into the basket. Do you count the basket? What if it was inside or outside the 3-pt. arc and B3 was inside the arc?

Play 2: Team A scores a field goal. On the ensuing throwin, Team B violates by 'kicking' the ball. Does Team A still have access to 'running the baseline'? What if team B fouls prior to a completed throw-in?

Play 3: Team A attempts a 3-pt. shot. B1 fouls in the act of shooting, and the ball is partially blocked. The ball lands a few feet in front of the basket and bounces into the goal. Is the basket good and/or how many free throws?
1. If the ball went below the level of the basket before hitting B3, then the try isn't good. The position of B1 and B3 is not relevant. Award A1 two or three throws, depending on A1's position.

2. Team A loses the right to run the end-line in both of these cases. (NCAA changed the rule this year to address this "inequity.")

3. Similar to play 1. The try ends when it's obvious it will not be good or when it hits the floor. Award A1 three throws.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I would concur. Can't add much more.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 06:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by KDM

What do you mean by "kicking" the ball? Please describe this play in more detail.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

KDM,

Brian and bob are dead on.

Your description of plays 1 and 3 are similar to the Case Book 4.40.4B Play: "A1's three-point try is short and below ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket."

In such a scenario, two points would be scored because although the try had ended, a live ball passed through the basket.

The complication in your description (and it's a major one) is that a foul occurred to render the ball dead once it became clear that the try would be unsuccessful. Hence, the ball going through the basket was deceased...

Sven
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

[Play 2: Team A scores a field goal. On the ensuing throwin, Team B violates by 'kicking' the ball. Does Team A still have access to 'running the baseline'? What if team B fouls prior to a completed throw-in?]

Clarification please? Since A scored, B had the ball for inbounds with access to "running the baseline", not A. If B violates by intentionally kicking the ball, A can't "still have access to "running the baseline" because they never had it in the first place.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
[Play 2: Team A scores a field goal. On the ensuing throwin, Team B violates by 'kicking' the ball. Does Team A still have access to 'running the baseline'? What if team B fouls prior to a completed throw-in?]

Clarification please? Since A scored, B had the ball for inbounds with access to "running the baseline", not A. If B violates by intentionally kicking the ball, A can't "still have access to "running the baseline" because they never had it in the first place.
It is confusing, but I think he was going by the old standard that A is always has the ball.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Since the ball was kicked, like it was said, B committed a violation. All violations are spot throw-ins.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Uh oh!!! I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. In play 2, Team A scores a f/g. On the ensuing throwin by Team B, Team A violates by kicking the ball. Does Team B now lose the right to 'run the baseline' on the next throw-in? ........ I think I just answered my own question. Since the throw-in had to 'end' in order for the ball to be 'kicked', the privilege of 'running the baseline' has ended. Correct?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
Uh oh!!! I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. In play 2, Team A scores a f/g. On the ensuing throwin by Team B, Team A violates by kicking the ball. Does Team B now lose the right to 'run the baseline' on the next throw-in? ........ I think I just answered my own question. Since the throw-in had to 'end' in order for the ball to be 'kicked', the privilege of 'running the baseline' has ended. Correct?
I messed up in my previous post, which I've now deleted. As was mentioned earlier, the new NCAA rule this year is that if a common foul is committed by B before the throw in occurs, then A doesn't lose the right to run the baseline. For this situation, I originally thought that the throw in would be at a designated spot. But with another look at the rules I found the following Approved Ruling after Rule 7.5.6a:

A.R. 10. After a goal by Team B, Team A has the ball for a throw-in from the end of
the playing court from where the goal was made. (a) B1 intentionally kicks the ball out
of bounds along the sideline or; (b) B1 intentionally kicks the ball out of bounds along
the end line from where the throw-in was attempted.

RULING: In (a) the kick is a
floor violation and the ball shall be awarded to Team A at the designated spot. In (b)
the illegal act of kicking the ball victimizes Team A. Consequently, Team A shall
retain the privilege to the throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (a) and (b),
the throw-in was not legally completed since the kick, an illegal act, is an exception to
the ball touching or being touched by a player on the playing court. As a result, the
shot clock shall not start. When this situation occurs in the last minute of the second half or an extra period, neither the game clock nor the shot clock shall be started
because of the violation.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
Correct.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
I'm going to partially disagree with the common answer here.

The block by B1 does not necessarily end the try nor does the contact by B3. It really depends on where B3 was relative to the block/ball. If the ball is still heading generally toward the basket when it glances off B3, I'm counting the basket if it goes. If it were heading in a direction that would clearly not go in had it not hit B3, I would not count it.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
I'm going to partially disagree with the common answer here.

The block by B1 does not necessarily end the try nor does the contact by B3. It really depends on where B3 was relative to the block/ball. If the ball is still heading generally toward the basket when it glances off B3, I'm counting the basket if it goes. If it were heading in a direction that would clearly not go in had it not hit B3, I would not count it.
Camron, I believe this is what Bob said in item 1 of
his post.