View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
Uh oh!!! I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. In play 2, Team A scores a f/g. On the ensuing throwin by Team B, Team A violates by kicking the ball. Does Team B now lose the right to 'run the baseline' on the next throw-in? ........ I think I just answered my own question. Since the throw-in had to 'end' in order for the ball to be 'kicked', the privilege of 'running the baseline' has ended. Correct?
I messed up in my previous post, which I've now deleted. As was mentioned earlier, the new NCAA rule this year is that if a common foul is committed by B before the throw in occurs, then A doesn't lose the right to run the baseline. For this situation, I originally thought that the throw in would be at a designated spot. But with another look at the rules I found the following Approved Ruling after Rule 7.5.6a:

A.R. 10. After a goal by Team B, Team A has the ball for a throw-in from the end of
the playing court from where the goal was made. (a) B1 intentionally kicks the ball out
of bounds along the sideline or; (b) B1 intentionally kicks the ball out of bounds along
the end line from where the throw-in was attempted.

RULING: In (a) the kick is a
floor violation and the ball shall be awarded to Team A at the designated spot. In (b)
the illegal act of kicking the ball victimizes Team A. Consequently, Team A shall
retain the privilege to the throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (a) and (b),
the throw-in was not legally completed since the kick, an illegal act, is an exception to
the ball touching or being touched by a player on the playing court. As a result, the
shot clock shall not start. When this situation occurs in the last minute of the second half or an extra period, neither the game clock nor the shot clock shall be started
because of the violation.