Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:39pm
In Memoriam

Re: Aweful...

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose
...Over the years, it has gone from stay away from the coaches, to wishing the coaches good luck, to now asking the coaches if he has his players equipped properly and if he is teaching them good sportsmanship....
I enjoyed your post, Goose.
mick
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
...loves to chase squirrels & roll around in deer sh!t, swims with nothing but a necklace on, chases the mailman (I don't think I'll ever stop that one) and loves taking a bath every other week.

[/B][/QUOTE]Sounds like not a bad lifestyle (except for maybe the mailman part).
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Ready...
You can try what I do. It works for me. I say, "We want good sportsmanship tonight." Then I turn to the coaches and point to both of them (open palms, not an accusing finger) at the same time. "Coaches, sportsmanship starts on the bench. We're counting on you to be good examples and show good sportsmanship." I started this after asking if they would show good sportsmanship and got a few attempts at humor that made them look stupid! I don't ask them if they will, I tell them in front of their captains that it is expected.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Aweful...

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose
Getting back to the subject matter...this situation makes me want to puke!

I fear these state associations are turning too PC over the years. When I first started long ago, I was told to stay away from one, the table, and two, the coaches. The less interaction the better and I personally still feel this way.

Over the years, it has gone from stay away from the coaches, to wishing the coaches good luck, to now asking the coaches if he has his players equipped properly and if he is teaching them good sportsmanship. Geez, what will be next? "Are your players all wearing jocks?" How about, "Will your players practice good hygine and shower after the game?"

I recently moved to another state and was frankly a little shocked at these coaches "meetings" the first few times I worked. I thought the referee was brown-nosing the coaches becasue I never did, and never will ask him if he is teaching his kids good sportsmanship. Personally, I don't care if my association wants it or not, it is none of my business how he wants to coach his team. If it comes down to me "having" to do it, that might be the straw that breaks the camels back. Besides, what is he supposed to say? Of course he will say "yes" to all the above. Then what when a player is wearing an illegal knee brace or an earring? His fault or mine?

Personally, I like it the old way. I don't feel comfortable even shaking hands with the person who in about 5 minutes will be questioning my ancestry, not to mention my sight, judgement, etc. It is pure B.S.

I give it the same status as the line after every game, "Nice game ref!" This being after I have T'd him, he has told me all kinds of nice stories about my wife and kids, questioned my eyesight, my ability, my looks. Oh, and his team won by 30 but the fouls were overly in the other teams favor. Did I have a relative player for them? Oh, by the way, "nice game, anyway."

I'm all for good sportsmanship and will address it to the captains of each team and what I deem as unsportsmanlike behavior before the game.

But the coach? Next years question will be (while having the coach place his left hand on the good book and raising his right hand):

"Coach, do you solemly swear that you will honor the coaches box, the entire game?"

goose
Things have changed. I greet coaches by first name, shake their hands, and actually smile once in a while. While our relationship is, by nature, adversarial at times, I've found that it becomes that way far less when we treat coaches as equals and as human beings.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Goose,

I am with Rich on this one, but I see your point. We really do not need to be asking all those questions. I can maybe understand asking them about being properly equip. We do that in other sports. But to ask them about something that is going to happen in the future is just plain silly. I have no problem with greeting coaches and wishing them good luck at all. That is a very professional thing to do especially at the high school level where all the adults are supposed to be teaching these kids life lessons or things beyond the classroom. I just think we do not need to ask them their blood pressure and their SAT scores.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Goose,

I am with Rich on this one, but I see your point. We really do not need to be asking all those questions. I can maybe understand asking them about being properly equip. We do that in other sports. But to ask them about something that is going to happen in the future is just plain silly. I have no problem with greeting coaches and wishing them good luck at all. That is a very professional thing to do especially at the high school level where all the adults are supposed to be teaching these kids life lessons or things beyond the classroom. I just think we do not need to ask them their blood pressure and their SAT scores.

Peace
Jeff,

Illinois requires that we invite coaches to the captain's meeting. I think this is a bit over the top myself -- in WI we simply greet the coaches at 1:30 and ask two simple questions. Players attired? Promote sportsmanship? Of course, I greet them by first name before they even introduce themselves and I am friendly so I never get any problems....

I'm surprised people find this to be a big deal.

--Rich

Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Jeff,

Illinois requires that we invite coaches to the captain's meeting. I think this is a bit over the top myself -- in WI we simply greet the coaches at 1:30 and ask two simple questions. Players attired? Promote sportsmanship? Of course, I greet them by first name before they even introduce themselves and I am friendly so I never get any problems....

--Rich

You know the reason we have to have the coaches involved in that meeting and near the table? Some official had some kind of inappropriate and unprofessional conversation with one of the captains during that meeting. From what I heard someone said something about "having a beer" and the captain told his or her coach and now we have the situation that is the procedure today. Sometimes we can be our worst enemy.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 09:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Jeff,

--Rich

You know the reason we have to have the coaches involved in that meeting and near the table? Some official had some kind of inappropriate and unprofessional conversation with one of the captains during that meeting. From what I heard someone said something about "having a beer" and the captain told his or her coach and now we have the situation that is the procedure today. Sometimes we can be our worst enemy.

Peace
I'm not surprised, not in the least bit.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
...loves to chase squirrels & roll around in deer sh!t, swims with nothing but a necklace on, chases the mailman (I don't think I'll ever stop that one) and loves taking a bath every other week.

[/B]
Sounds like not a bad lifestyle (except for maybe the mailman part). [/B][/QUOTE]

I would give up the "roll around in deer sh!t" part way, way, way before the mailman.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Our state requires the procedure before the game, but it's only one question - "Are all your players properly equipped?", and a statement about expecting good sportsmanship.

It is a little ridiculous, but I guess someone in the ivory tower thought that reminding coaches about good sportsmanship will all of sudden cause that lunatic coach to go "Oh, that's right! I'm supposed to be a role model!"

The rest of us treat it as a 30 second intro to the refs - shake hands, nod at the right places, and go back to your team.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

Do you know all the coaches by name or do you get their names somehow? Our association is so big that we may not see the same team more than once a season. I'm bad with names but will definitely try to learn each coach's name and incorporate your idea.

Thanks!
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Rich,

Do you know all the coaches by name or do you get their names somehow? Our association is so big that we may not see the same team more than once a season. I'm bad with names but will definitely try to learn each coach's name and incorporate your idea.

Thanks!
Uh, grab a program on the way in.
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I greet every coach the same way: Hello Coach!" then introduce myself if they are a new team for me and I always conclude with, "Good Luck, Coach!" Some of these guys are friends of mine and my son's former coaches. I've also coached their kids in Jr. High Soccer or Little League baseball. They know I am going to call everything fairly and without favoritism, but I don't want to appear too familiar with one guy(lady) and not the other. This works for me.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Program?

What program?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Program?
What program?
ReadyToRef,
Well, how can ya tell the players without a program?
mick