Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by lds7199
B1 makes a steal and heads in the wrong direction and pulls up for a jumper. Coach yells at the player in mid-shot and the player throws up an airball and then goes and retrieves the ball. My partner called a traveling violation. Is this a traveling violation?
Nope, it's not travelling but it is an illegal second dribble. No change of team possession when shooting at the wrong basket.
Wait a second. I've got traveling here. Player is lifting his pivot foot and then starting a dribble: traveling.
You're probably right on an airball, assuming the player was in the air when he threw up the airball. It would be travelling if that player was the first to touch the ball again after he jumped and released it. It can't be travelling right away though because if a teammate touches it first, you'd call it a pass as per R4-43-3b and it would be a legal play. If the airball hits the opponent's backboard instead, you would classify it as a dribble.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref, I gave you a chance to comment but you took too long. The only way to travel without the ball is when you gain possesion of the ball while on the floor, set the ball down or drop (call it what you like), stand up and are then the first person to touch the ball.

The pass to yourself that doesn't bounce is an illegal start of a dribble if you move both feet. I know that sounds crazy, but there is a case book play for that very situation. The same goes for a pass to yourself that does bounce if you've lost your dribble, not a travel but an illegal start of a dribble.