Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjksail
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by tjksail
Now I'm confused with the over the back discussion. I probably sound like an idiot, but is this not a foul? What am I missing here?
Displacing / holding, etc. are fouls.

Jumping higher than the player in front of you and grabbing the ball w/out displacing that player is NOT a foul.

So is there any penalty for these actions?
Only in the minds of coaches, fans, and announcers on TV.

Behind and over IS NOTHING. Going through the player in front, holding down the player in front, or hitting a player's arms who is in front and reaching for the ball vertically are fouls.

Over the back does not exist.

FYI reaching is not a foul either.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:35am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Mark,

BIG difference between the "over the back" misconception and using "offensive" instead of "player control". One is people thinking something is a foul when it's not. The other is a concise, easy to understand, and pretty accurate description of the infraction.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I know, when a PC foul happens, blows the whistle and indicates "offense!" in some way, not "player control" or "team control".

I cannot think of a scenario where a coach would misunderstand me if I told him his player commmitted an "offensive foul".

I know why you feel the way you do, but in this case, I think you're being a little officious.

I am not being little officious. An even better example of terminology that just drives me up the wall is when I hear an official say that the foul was "on the floor." Just what the heck does that mean. Either the foul was against a player in the act of shooting or it wasn't. There is no such thing as an "on the floor" foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am not being little officious. An even better example of terminology that just drives me up the wall is when I hear an official say that the foul was "on the floor." Just what the heck does that mean. Either the foul was against a player in the act of shooting or it wasn't. There is no such thing as an "on the floor" foul.
When I say something is on the floor, I mean that the penalty will be taken on the floor, in other words, it's a throw in. So that's "what the heck" that means.

I don't understand your objection to calling a foul "offensive". As Dan says, it's an adjective, just like saying a foul is "defensive". This is not "making things up" that aren't in the book. It's using English words to describe a situation. Why is that a problem?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
When I say something is on the floor, I mean that the penalty will be taken on the floor, in other words, it's a throw in. So that's "what the heck" that means.

I don't understand your objection to calling a foul "offensive". As Dan says, it's an adjective, just like saying a foul is "defensive". This is not "making things up" that aren't in the book. It's using English words to describe a situation. Why is that a problem?

I object because it does not accurately describe what is happening. A1 can be fouled in the act of shooting and still not be airborne for one thing.

Besides, look at the NFHS Officials Manual or NCAA's CCA 2- or 3-Person Manuals. If the official follows the prescribed mechanics, one does not have to say "on the floor." In fact saying "on the floor" is frowned upon at every camp I have every attended or been a staffer. I do not have my manuals in front of me but I know for a fact that the CCA manuals specifically state the the phrase "on the floor" is not to be used.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
/quote]

Then why don't you say "at the spot" instead of "on the floor"?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
/quote]

Yea, I could. I've never had a problem with "on the floor." I guess when I move to Ohio, I'll have to change my wicked ways, and go with the PC flow.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B ]
I object because it does not accurately describe what is happening. A1 can be fouled in the act of shooting and still not be airborne for one thing. [/B]
It does accurately describe what is happening if the penalty will be a throw-in. If the shooter is fouled before she goes airborne, then I don't say "on the floor" because the penalty will be shots, not a throw-in. See? So when I say "on the floor", it does accurately describe what is happening. That may not be what you hear, that's what I mean.

Quote:
[B ]Besides, look at the NFHS Officials Manual or NCAA's CCA 2- or 3-Person Manuals. If the official follows the prescribed mechanics, one does not have to say "on the floor." In fact saying "on the floor" is frowned upon at every camp I have every attended or been a staffer. I do not have my manuals in front of me but I know for a fact that the CCA manuals specifically state the the phrase "on the floor" is not to be used. [/B]
Okay, when I'm doing CCA games, I won't say it. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm just saying that your objections aren't entirely based on fact. Not everyone who says, "on the floor" is being fuzzy-headed and flimsy.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
/quote]

Yea, I could. I've never had a problem with "on the floor." I guess when I move to Ohio, I'll have to change my wicked ways, and go with the PC flow.
From my experience you'll want to add more states than just Ohio to that list.

(Personally I have nothing against you saying "on the floor", seems pretty obvious what you mean. But I do like to referee basketball, and shouting "on the floor" would be a way for me to get un-invited from the club. So it's a bit more than PC.)
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
/quote]

From my experience you'll want to add more states than just Ohio to that list.

(Personally I have nothing against you saying "on the floor", seems pretty obvious what you mean. But I do like to referee basketball, and shouting "on the floor" would be a way for me to get un-invited from the club. So it's a bit more than PC.)
How about "White, 33, block, red ball!" Does that work?

Btw, let's not kid ourselves about PC. Of course it's PC. Anytime I do something or say something just because that's how I'm told to, and I'm avoiding rocking the boat because I want to move up, that's PC. It's not PC in the red-state-blue-state way, but it's still PC.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is one of those things that come down to where you live and what is accepted in your area. On the block mechanic you are not suppose to use your fists. Most evaluators where I live do not like the "proper" mechanic and say it looks less strong as using what is essentially the proper mechanic. It just depends on who you work for and what those say. I believe in proper mechanics, but I also believe that some things are minor. Saying "on the floor" to me is very minor. What I can more about are you rewarding a shot during a foul properly. That to me is the bigger problem.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:43pm
Administrator

Don't worry, Ohio has more than its share of yahoo's that yell "on the floor." Just don't say it.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:50pm
Esteemed Participant

So Mark and Dan, using your logic about the use of the word "offensive" to communicate the foul call, do you say "Illegal use of the hands", or do you say "hack" or "hit" or "on the arm"??? Cause (unless I'm wrong again) the NFHS book calls it "illegal use of the hands" - right? So you can't call it anything else, right??
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
So Mark and Dan, using your logic about the use of the word "offensive" to communicate the foul call, do you say "Illegal use of the hands", or do you say "hack" or "hit" or "on the arm"??? Cause (unless I'm wrong again) the NFHS book calls it "illegal use of the hands" - right? So you can't call it anything else, right??
When reporting I say none of these so it's not an issue for me.

I, for one, could not care less what anybody else calls them.

Sure, unless white's playing blue.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
I, for one, could not care less what anybody else calls them.

[/B][/QUOTE]I, for two, agree with that. I could give a sh*t less what you call them, as long as you call them right!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sure, unless white's playing blue.
[/B]
Yea, I've done that before too!