View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am not being little officious. An even better example of terminology that just drives me up the wall is when I hear an official say that the foul was "on the floor." Just what the heck does that mean. Either the foul was against a player in the act of shooting or it wasn't. There is no such thing as an "on the floor" foul.
When I say something is on the floor, I mean that the penalty will be taken on the floor, in other words, it's a throw in. So that's "what the heck" that means.

I don't understand your objection to calling a foul "offensive". As Dan says, it's an adjective, just like saying a foul is "defensive". This is not "making things up" that aren't in the book. It's using English words to describe a situation. Why is that a problem?

I object because it does not accurately describe what is happening. A1 can be fouled in the act of shooting and still not be airborne for one thing.

Besides, look at the NFHS Officials Manual or NCAA's CCA 2- or 3-Person Manuals. If the official follows the prescribed mechanics, one does not have to say "on the floor." In fact saying "on the floor" is frowned upon at every camp I have every attended or been a staffer. I do not have my manuals in front of me but I know for a fact that the CCA manuals specifically state the the phrase "on the floor" is not to be used.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio