View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[B ]
I object because it does not accurately describe what is happening. A1 can be fouled in the act of shooting and still not be airborne for one thing. [/B]
It does accurately describe what is happening if the penalty will be a throw-in. If the shooter is fouled before she goes airborne, then I don't say "on the floor" because the penalty will be shots, not a throw-in. See? So when I say "on the floor", it does accurately describe what is happening. That may not be what you hear, that's what I mean.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[B ]Besides, look at the NFHS Officials Manual or NCAA's CCA 2- or 3-Person Manuals. If the official follows the prescribed mechanics, one does not have to say "on the floor." In fact saying "on the floor" is frowned upon at every camp I have every attended or been a staffer. I do not have my manuals in front of me but I know for a fact that the CCA manuals specifically state the the phrase "on the floor" is not to be used. [/B]
Okay, when I'm doing CCA games, I won't say it. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm just saying that your objections aren't entirely based on fact. Not everyone who says, "on the floor" is being fuzzy-headed and flimsy.