The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

If the official did not hear anything that set Nate off, I don't know how we can expect that a school administrator could have heard it and prevented it.

How about get rid of people that violate the principles of sportsmanship. The IHSA has a statement about sportsmanship that many schools have access to and actually read over the P.A system on a regular basis. I do not expect officials to be paying that close attention to fans. But I have been in many gyms where it is very clear who is saying things out of line and game management stand there and does nothing. Not all games have a few thousand people standing around. Some games you are lucky if you have 100 people. I am grown, I can handle myself. Players at this level are still basically children. I do not expect them to handle themselves with the same attitude that I might have. If high school sports are an extension of the classroom, why would you allow anyone to say things they could not say in that classroom? I have been to many schools where there is a student section and game management is standing right next to this section and get rid or students that violate some codes of conduct. Now what I am saying might be wishful thinking and really is not going to happen. I know if I was in HS and said the things fans get away with at some of these same schools, I would be suspended from school not just the game.

Peace

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Referee???

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Nate Minnoy's statement about what happened,from the Chicago Sun-Times:

I went to the referee who heard these guys, and he just shrugged like there was nothing he could do.

If this indeed happened, then the referee he talked to should be severely reprimanded.

If the kid was immediately surrounded by police, then there was plenty of security - all the official would have to do is tell the security to tell the guys in the stands to cool it,

or in our area, we simply notify the administration and they will have them escourted from the facility no questions asked.

But if the kid already had one T, then he lost a lot of his merit with the officials -

Thanks
David

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I sure hope that any referee who hears this kind of crap doesn't ignore it. Good case of Advantage/Disadvantage.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

If the official did not hear anything that set Nate off, I don't know how we can expect that a school administrator could have heard it and prevented it.

How about get rid of people that violate the principles of sportsmanship. The IHSA has a statement about sportsmanship that many schools have access to and actually read over the P.A system on a regular basis. I do not expect officials to be paying that close attention to fans. But I have been in many gyms where it is very clear who is saying things out of line and game management stand there and does nothing. Not all games have a few thousand people standing around. Some games you are lucky if you have 100 people. I am grown, I can handle myself. Players at this level are still basically children. I do not expect them to handle themselves with the same attitude that I might have. If high school sports are an extension of the classroom, why would you allow anyone to say things they could not say in that classroom? I have been to many schools where there is a student section and game management is standing right next to this section and get rid or students that violate some codes of conduct. Now what I am saying might be wishful thinking and really is not going to happen. I know if I was in HS and said the things fans get away with at some of these same schools, I would be suspended from school not just the game.

Peace

I agree that anyone harassing a player should be removed.. perhaps for life. It just sounded to me as if it wasn't obvious enough for it to be noticed before the confrontation happened. Sounds like the school made sure that the punishment was severe for the player and the fan. Good for them.

Z
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I agree that anyone harassing a player should be removed.. perhaps for life. It just sounded to me as if it wasn't obvious enough for it to be noticed before the confrontation happened. Sounds like the school made sure that the punishment was severe for the player and the fan. Good for them.

Z
Whether it is obvious or not might have to do what is normally acceptable. Not sure what school you are talking about, because the schools involved was not the tournament host.

Peace