The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Curious for those of you in an association what types of rookie or mentor/mentee programs that you have to help new and inexperienced officials improve and advance, including topics such as training, observation, requirements (number or level of games), etc...

Our association has a rookie program, but I am always looking for other ideas or options as how to improve the way to bring the younger officals along to the point where they need to be.

Any ideas/feedback would be appreciated.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Down here in Louisiana, there is no program. I found a local referee and talked with him, he brought me onto the court and showed me a little bit. Also, I went with him to some of his games and he told me to write down ANYTHING that I had a question about, and at half time or at the end of the game, him and his partners would answer them for me.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in my area. When I started I talked to a few veteran officials, registered with the state, read the officials manual to learn the court positioning and mechanics and then went and watched the officials at about 7 or 8 varsity games. However, a lot of guys probably don't even do that much. All you have to do is get registered with the state high school association and know who to call for games. Anyone can get lower level games. The problem around here is that many of the varsity officials refuse to work any lower level games, so how are they going to mentor anyone? I just started picking up a few varsity games late last year and this season but I will always work at least some middle school and jv level games. I enjoy working with different people and watching the players develop over the years from middle school to varsity.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paxsonref
Curious for those of you in an association what types of rookie or mentor/mentee programs that you have to help new and inexperienced officials improve and advance, including topics such as training, observation, requirements (number or level of games), etc...

Our association has a rookie program, but I am always looking for other ideas or options as how to improve the way to bring the younger officals along to the point where they need to be.

Any ideas/feedback would be appreciated.
Our association has a sign-up sheet at the beginning of the year for the veterans. Any vets who sign-up are given one of the apprentice officials to mentor.

I signed up and am helping a first-year official. I have observed a couple of his games and he has come to a couple of mine. He has my e-mail and my phone number so we communicate regularly. It's working great.

Z
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

In Arizona we have a mentoring system that is required. We have a website that every JV official should be registered and we give them an online evaluation. The varsity officials MUST turn in these evaluations to get state tournament games.

The new officials also have many more meetings to attend, including an end of season meeting this year. New officials are also encouraged to go watch games on nights they are not working. Many varsity officials will spend an evening, returning the favor, by going to see these officials on any off night we may have.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

the program that we have set up now works as follows: when an official feels they are ready to move up to the varsity level, they can enter the rookie program, which consists of going to 10 games with various varsity officials (here we generally work a B-game and a varsity game) The rookie will work the entire B-game(with no pay), the veterans will each work a half with the other observing and critiquing, then the veterans will work the varsity game with the rookie observing. The rookies are then rated after every game and given feedback on their performance, and if at the end of the 10 games, all the veteran officials felt that they would be ready to move up next year to varsity games, then the next year they could be assigned some games. Those who we felt were not ready would have to repeat the program until enough strides were made to advance. The problem is that some veteran officials dont want to be the bad guy and tell the rookies that they need alot of work, therefore some officials who are not ready to be working a varsity contest are being assigned games. Its not a perfect system by any means, which is why I am in search of alternate ideas used by others. Thanks again for any feedback.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paxsonref
the program that we have set up now works as follows: when an official feels they are ready to move up to the varsity level, they can enter the rookie program, which consists of going to 10 games with various varsity officials (here we generally work a B-game and a varsity game) The rookie will work the entire B-game(with no pay), the veterans will each work a half with the other observing and critiquing, then the veterans will work the varsity game with the rookie observing. The rookies are then rated after every game and given feedback on their performance, and if at the end of the 10 games, all the veteran officials felt that they would be ready to move up next year to varsity games, then the next year they could be assigned some games. Those who we felt were not ready would have to repeat the program until enough strides were made to advance. The problem is that some veteran officials dont want to be the bad guy and tell the rookies that they need alot of work, therefore some officials who are not ready to be working a varsity contest are being assigned games. Its not a perfect system by any means, which is why I am in search of alternate ideas used by others. Thanks again for any feedback.
I see several issues that could/should be fixed.

The official should be paid, I assume the varsity guys are getting the full game checks for the B game.

Even with varsity partners, you may have 2 slightly different views of what is or isn't a foul, and that's not fair to the players or the B game official.

The other is resentment and losing officials. I can't see any official wanting to work 10 games for free and then having to repeat it.

I'd suggest a two game evaluation with a crew. The B official works with each official for an ENTIRE game, with the other observing. Pay the poor official the game fee, and they get on court mentoring and observering that is consistent throughout the game.

Repeat that with as many crews as you see fit.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

sorry, forgot to mention, i believe it is in the bylaws for the association that they dont get paid, but some of us have been known to drop the officials 20 bucks or so and buy them a beer afterwards, so its not a total loss anyway.

In the experiences I've had, as far as what is and isnt a foul should not vary that greatly between partners, especially if a good pregame is had, sure we all have different views and judgements, but having two seperate people observe also gives two different opinions on areas of improvement for the rookie, since it is sometimes difficult for the veteran who is on the floor to watch alot of what the rookie is doing when they have their own areas to be watching during the game.

As far as a 2 game observation, yes we have had officials who easily could have been moved up to varsity level after only two games, but there are those who might need 20 games before they are ready to move up. . . I'm guessing 10 seemed to be somewhere in the middle when the bylaws were written.

As far as losing officials who dont want to put up with the requirements, I havent seen that yet, though I suppose it is possible, but for those who really are trying hard to improve and advance its not a problem. . . its mainly those who feel like they should have things handed to them that have had problems with the requirements. We of course want to have and retain as many officials as we can, but we also want quality, not just quantity when it comes to providing for these schools.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

You missed the repeat the 2 game crew evaluation as many times as you see fit.

It just sounds to me, like the by-laws are set up to benefit the varsity guys, by making the JV official literally pay their dues to be evaluated.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is a link to our local association program.

AOA Mentoring Program

Peace
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry mentor......What mentor!!!

I am a first year official in northeastern ohio. I signed up to be mentored, they sent me a letter with the guys name and a few other names to contact just in case. This Mentor never contacted me so I contacted another on my list via e-mail. He never called either!!! I would enjoy the opinion of a senior official. I think it would improve my game alot. So if anybody on the board is from northeastern ohio and knows somebody who would like to mentor a first year offical. Post on this thread and I will contact them if they like. thanks Chris
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 05:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

You do not need an organization to have a mentor. Find someone you know and respect. Make sure they are working a level you are trying to get to. Then ask them to be your mentor. Mentor programs are great, but I think you want to find more than one mentor anyway. More than one person helping you is always a good thing.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I am the assignor for our association in southeast MN and we do it the same as Paxonref, 10 B-squad games, no pay. However, I also assign some local 9th grade games and give the rookies some of these games after they have been out for a few of their eval games, to allow them to make some bucks and to get game experience. Some of our incoming rookies have never worked a game before, although most have done some youth games but generally are not knowledgeable on rules and mechanics.

We have a new clinician who is trying to set up monthly in-season informal meetings for any officials in the association but with an emphasis on newer officials. We also get together at a local watering hole on Fri nights after games to share experiences/stories. We have talked about a formal mentoring program but have not set anything up. We also just started an observation program within the association, sign up to get observed or be an observer and the clinician tries to match up free officials with officials working games.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I wish it were that easy to move up in Indiana.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

We have been working on a mentoring system in our association for the past few years and we still have yet to really find something that works consistantly. We do have the luxury of being able to offer younger officials summer league BV games that are held in conjunction with an internal camp. This seems to really pay off for some officials, others not so impressive.

One system I was fortunate to work in as a rookie was in the Dallas area (back in 85-89). They have what they called a "jumper" system. The varsity offical would be assigned the JV and Varsity game. The varsity official could work both games but, the idea was forthe varsity official to find a younger official to work the JV game. The varsity official would observe and provide feedback (and yes, get paid for the JV game). I really learned alot from my varsity offical, Michael. When I was transfered back out to California (SF Bay Area), I was able to immediatly break into a full varsity schedule as well as section and state playoffs. I fully believe the mentoring was the reason.