View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

We have been working on a mentoring system in our association for the past few years and we still have yet to really find something that works consistantly. We do have the luxury of being able to offer younger officials summer league BV games that are held in conjunction with an internal camp. This seems to really pay off for some officials, others not so impressive.

One system I was fortunate to work in as a rookie was in the Dallas area (back in 85-89). They have what they called a "jumper" system. The varsity offical would be assigned the JV and Varsity game. The varsity official could work both games but, the idea was forthe varsity official to find a younger official to work the JV game. The varsity official would observe and provide feedback (and yes, get paid for the JV game). I really learned alot from my varsity offical, Michael. When I was transfered back out to California (SF Bay Area), I was able to immediatly break into a full varsity schedule as well as section and state playoffs. I fully believe the mentoring was the reason.