View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

sorry, forgot to mention, i believe it is in the bylaws for the association that they dont get paid, but some of us have been known to drop the officials 20 bucks or so and buy them a beer afterwards, so its not a total loss anyway.

In the experiences I've had, as far as what is and isnt a foul should not vary that greatly between partners, especially if a good pregame is had, sure we all have different views and judgements, but having two seperate people observe also gives two different opinions on areas of improvement for the rookie, since it is sometimes difficult for the veteran who is on the floor to watch alot of what the rookie is doing when they have their own areas to be watching during the game.

As far as a 2 game observation, yes we have had officials who easily could have been moved up to varsity level after only two games, but there are those who might need 20 games before they are ready to move up. . . I'm guessing 10 seemed to be somewhere in the middle when the bylaws were written.

As far as losing officials who dont want to put up with the requirements, I havent seen that yet, though I suppose it is possible, but for those who really are trying hard to improve and advance its not a problem. . . its mainly those who feel like they should have things handed to them that have had problems with the requirements. We of course want to have and retain as many officials as we can, but we also want quality, not just quantity when it comes to providing for these schools.