The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
If the want to listen or not is up to them, but we have to do it here in Louisiana.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 01:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: Re: capt's meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
#1 - Those kids are not going to tell the teammates what you've said.

#2 - They're going to forget what you said 30 seconds after they go back to warm up.

The meeting just doesn't mean anything to those kids.
I agree with you for the most part Tony.

Here is the exception:

I've reffed at a gym where some markings on the floor are quite confusing. Maybe because there are too many lines, maybe because of something else.

If I've had a problem at a gym in the past, I make it a special point to tell the captains that, "I'd really like it if you tell your coach what I'm about to tell you. (blah blah blah.) Please tell your coach to tell the rest of the team becuase I don't want to see a basket that you scored to be taken away."

I then stand at centre and watch the captains go right to their coach and see him/her nod. Almost without fail when I talk to the coaches after the captains, they tell me that their player told them. I know it's rare, but my point is that the one time per season, when I ask them to please tell their coach, they do. It's a rather nice feeling.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I've been in gyms like that as well. And I agree that you have to point out those type of ground rules. But telling the captains to make sure their subs don't enter until they're beckoned and similiar things is a waste. it's never going beyond the captains, who will soon forget.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
If the want to listen or not is up to them, but we have to do it here in Louisiana.
While I understnad you're probably require to ask who the speaking captain is, discuss sportsmanship, etc. I bet you aren't required to say a lot of these other things that are being mentioned.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Nope, we have this little card each year that they give us at this camp I go to and there are like 3 things to touch up on which include on one side coaches meeting and other side cap meeting.

Coach:
Time out let us know full or 30 asap.
Kicking rule blah blah blah
basically the POE.

Capt:
Shirts at all times
Sportsmanship
Good Luck

[Edited by brandan89 on Dec 27th, 2004 at 01:21 AM]
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

One thing about it, if every crew at every game reads the kicking rule and the POE to both coaches, they damn sure ought to know the rules.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Respect

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[/B]
I know one thing -- this is a purely individual thing, just wanted to get out there that there are some of us who introduce ourselves to the coaches by first name and already know their names when we meet them (so we can use them: Jim, Great to see you tonight. I'm Rich. Etc.).

--Rich [/B][/QUOTE]

Rich... A number of my friends do the same and it is an individual thing. However, I want to show the coaches the same respect I would show any educator. I personally would never walk into my daughter's classroom and call her teacher by his or her first name in front of the class. And while Bob and I can talk about hunting or fishing here in Montana off the court, I'll address him as coach in front of his team, in front of the other team, in front of the fans, and, in fact, anytime I am on the floor.
With the range of travel we have here in MT, I rarely know both of the coaches in any given game. But one of the last things that I would want is any coach to say to me during a contest ..... C'mon Chuck, you ( or my partner) are...... implying directly or indirecty that we are buddies.
They can address me "Hey Ref" or if they remember they can call me Mr. Lewis.... But if any of them call me Chuck, you can bet that I won't be responding to them readily... And I don't believe that Ms. Manners would reprimand you severely for saying, "Hey Coach, it's great to see ya tonight!"

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Respect

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
They can address me "Hey Ref" or if they remember they can call me Mr. Lewis.... But if any of them call me Chuck, you can bet that I won't be responding to them readily...
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

My mentor does that...addresses coaches by their first name, and claims he has great success with it. Of course, he's been reffing like 15 years, and knows most of the coaches. His theory is that it is one professional talking to another. He says if he was in an office with the coach, he wouldn't say "hey coach"...he'd call him "Jim" or "Bob"....and he says he makes it a point early on in the game to address each coach at least once, so there's no "old buddy" thing going on.

Me?...I'm not comfortable with it. I'll stick with "Coach" and "Hey Ref" for the time being.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
"Your Red Your White (pending on actual colors)

Keep Shirts in

When whistle blows get the ball back to the closest official

Play defense with feet not hands."

I always ask my part if they have anything.

Then I wish captains good luck and send them on their way.

One minute tops

[Edited by joseph2493 on Dec 28th, 2004 at 02:52 PM]