View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Respect

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[/B]
I know one thing -- this is a purely individual thing, just wanted to get out there that there are some of us who introduce ourselves to the coaches by first name and already know their names when we meet them (so we can use them: Jim, Great to see you tonight. I'm Rich. Etc.).

--Rich [/B][/QUOTE]

Rich... A number of my friends do the same and it is an individual thing. However, I want to show the coaches the same respect I would show any educator. I personally would never walk into my daughter's classroom and call her teacher by his or her first name in front of the class. And while Bob and I can talk about hunting or fishing here in Montana off the court, I'll address him as coach in front of his team, in front of the other team, in front of the fans, and, in fact, anytime I am on the floor.
With the range of travel we have here in MT, I rarely know both of the coaches in any given game. But one of the last things that I would want is any coach to say to me during a contest ..... C'mon Chuck, you ( or my partner) are...... implying directly or indirecty that we are buddies.
They can address me "Hey Ref" or if they remember they can call me Mr. Lewis.... But if any of them call me Chuck, you can bet that I won't be responding to them readily... And I don't believe that Ms. Manners would reprimand you severely for saying, "Hey Coach, it's great to see ya tonight!"

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.