The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Question

My question is this, Just wondering as a first year official and I'm R . Whats the best things to say to captains and to coaches. I know the basics, but I was wondering if anybody had suggestions that are not so bland or boring. thanks for any comments!!!!! chris
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Make sure you and your team keep their shirts tucked it at all times, if we need anything we will come to you. Play a clean game, and good luck.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I could care less about their shirts. Tell them that sportsmanship is of utmost importance. Tell them about anything quirky in that gym. Otherwise, they don't want to listen to you anyway.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
My question is this, Just wondering as a first year official and I'm R . Whats the best things to say to captains and to coaches. I know the basics, but I was wondering if anybody had suggestions that are not so bland or boring. thanks for any comments!!!!! chris
The shorter the better and make sure you always do a zipper check before you go on the floor.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
This is my pre-game, probably takes 2 minutes tops if that: I tell the players to introduce themselves to the other team. Floor captin for white, floor captin for red (or whatever the colors are). Ok gentlemen/ladies we are going to come to you if we have any problems, you come to us if you have any problems. Sportsmanship is the number one thing. Coaches, players properly equiped? Good luck!

And MEGA DITTOS to blindzebra, I was watching a game on a night off and watching the officials. And during halftime one of the officials forgot to zip it up. Well let's just say that the home teams student section let him know and everyone know by a little chant..."Zip your fly clap, clap, clap clap clap."
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

It depends on your jurisdiction. In my state of Illinois we have to make a Sportsmanship statement. We also have to ask the coaches if their players are properly equip and legally ready to play. Outside of that I ask for a speaking captain on each team and tell the players good luck. My meeting usually lasts about 30 seconds.

This is an example of what I say.

"Coaches are your players properly equip? (They say yes all the time) Gentleman this is an IHSA game under NF rules, we are going to adhere to sportsmanship, any questions? (They say no all the time) Who is my speaking captain for (home team)? Who is the speaking captain for (visiting team)? Any questions? (They never ask one) Good luck gentleman and have a good game."

Meeting is then over and everyone goes back to doing what they did before.

Peace

Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chris, for the most part, the meeting is a waste of time. The kids will have forgotten everything you're told them by the time they go back to warm up. The coaches only do it because it's required. They would just as soon not have to do it either.

Make it short and sweet, and get it over with.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Respect

Introduction of my partner and myself goes like this, "This is Mr./Ms .... and I'm Mr..... We are your officials for this morning, afternoon, evening..."
It may be just a personal quirk left over from the Semper Fi days, but respect is not outdated and neither the coaches or players need to know or call me by my first name...
Merry Christmas!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

My Coaches and Captains meetings go as follows: Assuming no quirky courts. Introduce captains, Coaches are your player legally and properly equipted? Wait for answer. Any questions? Have a good game. Usually lasts about a minute.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Respect

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Introduction of my partner and myself goes like this, "This is Mr./Ms .... and I'm Mr..... We are your officials for this morning, afternoon, evening..."
It may be just a personal quirk left over from the Semper Fi days, but respect is not outdated and neither the coaches or players need to know or call me by my first name...
Merry Christmas!
Except that I expect the coaches to use my name and I want to use theirs.

Respect? I have as much for the coach as I expect to receive from them.

I know one thing -- this is a purely individual thing, just wanted to get out there that there are some of us who introduce ourselves to the coaches by first name and already know their names when we meet them (so we can use them: Jim, Great to see you tonight. I'm Rich. Etc.).

--Rich
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

As for basketball, what is the purpose of asking if everyone is properly equipped? If you have 5-10 players on the floor that are wearing the same uniform, isn't that properly equipped. Do you have to do a sports bra or an athletic support cup check? just wondering. If its for a brace or a cast, that would be handled one on one to check it yourself. Just curious. Now baseball I could see.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Asking the head coach to verify that all players are properly equipped places the liability on the coach. He verifies that all players are equipped per the rules. If it's then determined that a player is not properly equipped and the player is injured, it lessens the liability of the officials.

Also, you don't check anything. If you see an illegal item, you sit the player down until it's removed. Sports bras and athletic support cups are not required. Casts are not allowed.

BTW, in football, if a player is discovered to be improperly equipped while on the field, it's a 15 yard USC penalty on the head coach. Maybe we'll see a T on the coach some day for this same type of situation.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

capt's meeting

MHSAA requires that we give the sportsman talk...short or long as you want...I always say 2 things (because I've been burnt by these) 1. when the whistle blows we have made up our minds and I expect play to STOP. 2. subs dont come on to the floor until an OFFICAL brings you on. Gentlemen have a great game.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: capt's meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverdale
I always say 2 things (because I've been burnt by these) 1. when the whistle blows we have made up our minds and I expect play to STOP. 2. subs dont come on to the floor until an OFFICAL brings you on. Gentlemen have a great game.
Clover, the problem is that:

#1 - Those kids are not going to tell the teammates what you've said.

#2 - They're going to forget what you said 30 seconds after they go back to warm up.

The meeting just doesn't mean anything to those kids.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Tony.

Ask them if they have any questions, say good luck, and let 'em go.

If I know I have a particularly contentious game with potential problems, I "may" BRIEFLY emphasize whatever point(s) (no more than 2) that need to be addressed. Otherwise, get in, get out, FAST.

They want to keep warming up, not talk to you.

If your league or association requires a certain format, just keep it as short as possible.