The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Ok before we start, I didn't see the play. I heard about it third hand and thought I would run it by all of you here.

1pt game Team A scores to go ahead with 3 seconds left on the clock. Team A has not been warned for delay at any point during the game. After they make the basket they grab the ball and hold it. They don't allow Team B to get the ball and time runs out. Team A is the victor.

What would you do. A fellow official in our area called me this morning to ask what I would have done...I had a couple ideas.. I will post them later

ok guys and gals Have at it.... and happy feasting LOL
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That's an obvious technical foul. What could be the question here?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

There is no warning for that delay, especially with less than 5 seconds to go. I would assess a T.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok before we start, I didn't see the play. I heard about it third hand and thought I would run it by all of you here.

1pt game Team A scores to go ahead with 3 seconds left on the clock. Team A has not been warned for delay at any point during the game. After they make the basket they grab the ball and hold it. They don't allow Team B to get the ball and time runs out. Team A is the victor.

What would you do. A fellow official in our area called me this morning to ask what I would have done...I had a couple ideas.. I will post them later

ok guys and gals Have at it.... and happy feasting LOL
If Team B had a player available and I felt that A did it "unintentionally", delay of game warning on Team A. That is interfering with the ball after a goal whic is 4-46-3. Give Team B an endline-run throw-in. The only thing I'm not sure about is how much time to put back on the clock. If a Team B player was right there, I'd probably assume that he would have grabbed it immediately and give them 3 seconds.

If Team A did it intentionally, technical foul.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Dec 22nd, 2004 at 11:45 AM]
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I know what I would have done

Chuck,
I agree with you, I would have the T as an unsporting act. The reason I posted it is this. The guys doing the game did nothing....

Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

There is a case book play that talks about reaching through the boundary in an obvious attempt to keep the ball from becoming alive in the closing seconds of a game. It is an automatic technical foul without any warning.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

final seconds of the game I'd T for delay of game, no warning necessary in this case.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
final seconds of the game I'd T for delay of game, no warning necessary in this case.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that a T is in order, but for delay of game you have to have a warning first don't you ?? There is no provision that allows for a delay of game T without the warning is there? If it is a T it is the unsporting variety correct??
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: I know what I would have done

Quote:
The guys doing the game did nothing....
I hope this was a middle school girl's game.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I agree that a T is in order, but for delay of game you have to have a warning first don't you ?? There is no provision that allows for a delay of game T without the warning is there? If it is a T it is the unsporting variety correct??
BITS nailed it.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
BOUNDARY-PLANE WARNING – LAST SECOND TACTIC
9.2.11 SITUATION: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1's hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction.

RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. (4-46-1; 10-1-10)

COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

A warning would not be necessary in this situation as it was clearly an unsporting act for A1 to hold the ball intentionally thus preventing B1 from inbounding the ball. Some might try to issue a warning and put three seconds back on the clock which would give Team A an advantage in setting up their defense for the inbound pass.

I believe that a technical foul should be called (9.2.11) on A1 for a delay of game there is no warning for this per the case book referenced.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

T and put 3 seconds on the clock. The T is not for delay of game but for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
T and put 3 seconds on the clock. The T is not for delay of game but for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Cam -

Well, technically speaking, you are to be corrected....

Per 9.2.11 - COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks BBR

BBR,
Thanks for the reference. To answer other questions, no actually this was a varsity contest. Makes one wonder sometimes....