Thread: Assistant coach
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:57am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Boys JV game. Team A is pressing B in their backcourt. B1 loses control of his dribble and kneels to pick up the ball. After gaining control with one knee on the floor with two defenders surrounding him, he stands up and begins to dribble away. I am the T and call him for the travel. B1 looks at me and bangs the ball to the floor. Ball bounced about 12-15 feet in the air. Bang, T on B1.

As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel, he didn't have control?" I looked at him and asked if he was the HC. He said no, I put my whistle in my mouth, took two steps back while looking at him, and began to put my hands in a T formation. He turned soo quick and went to his bench and sat down before I could blow my whistle.LOL I let it go and did not T him thinking he got the message.

Should I have T'd him up? What would you have done in this situation involving the AC?

theumpferee:

As far as B1 is concerned, you did good.

How you handled Assistant Coach B is a different manner. Whenever the ball is dead and the clock is stopped, I never use the whistle to assess a technical foul to a coach or player, unless I absolutely have too. In your case. I would told him he has a T and then report it to the table. By avoiding the use of your whistle and giving the T sign, it helps keep a potentional volitale situation from getting worse. And in your case it is a lot quicker and you would have been able to whack him before he turned around and slithered away.

MTD, Sr.
I disagree -- there's a whistle and a signal on every technical. Just another foul, but I want people (everyone) to know it's been called.

Rich:

I agree with you to a point. Anytime the ball is live and a technical foul has been committed, I will sound the whistle, that just goes without saying. Lets say that I am reporting a foul on B1 and Head Coach B really takes exeption to me assessing a foul on B1. I will give him the stop sign and tell him that I am "whacking him." I do not think putting the whistle back in my mouth, sounding it and then giving the coach the "T" signal is necessary and in some cases will only make matters worse. Once you have told the coach, let your partner(s) now (even though I am sure they know what happened) so that they can do their jobs during this very stressful time for the entire crew.

Earlier this year, I had called a held ball between A1 and B1. I sounded my whistle and closed the gap from about 12 feet to 6 feet. A1 had let go of the ball at the sound of my whistle. B1 then dropped her right hand from the ball, made a fist, and threw a round house punch across her body connecting with A1's nose. I did not take the time to put the whistle back into my mouth. I stepped between the two players and told B1 that she was done for the night. I then told my partner, and then Coach B what happened before going to the Table.

I am not saying that an official to never sound his whistle for a technical foul, I just think that there are times when it is so obvious that sounding a whistle can just only make thinks worse.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio