Thread: Assistant coach
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 01:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Boys JV game. Team A is pressing B in their backcourt. B1 loses control of his dribble and kneels to pick up the ball. After gaining control with one knee on the floor with two defenders surrounding him, he stands up and begins to dribble away. I am the T and call him for the travel. B1 looks at me and bangs the ball to the floor. Ball bounced about 12-15 feet in the air. Bang, T on B1.

As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel, he didn't have control?" I looked at him and asked if he was the HC. He said no, I put my whistle in my mouth, took two steps back while looking at him, and began to put my hands in a T formation. He turned soo quick and went to his bench and sat down before I could blow my whistle.LOL I let it go and did not T him thinking he got the message.

Should I have T'd him up? What would you have done in this situation involving the AC?
I would not T the assistant in this case. I would just tell him that communication is done through the HC only.

I also think that you should already know who the HC is, and respond to the AC accordingly.

The travel is the right call. The first T is the right call. Get in and get out without having another T.

I don't really like giving an almost T signal. People might interpret that you chickened out because he got the best of you: we don't almost put our arm in the air when there was almost a foul. We don't almost through our flag when there could have been an illegal block. We don't almost pull out the yellow card. It's either a T signal or nothing.