Thread: Assistant coach
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 07:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Boys JV game. Team A is pressing B in their backcourt. B1 loses control of his dribble and kneels to pick up the ball. After gaining control with one knee on the floor with two defenders surrounding him, he stands up and begins to dribble away. I am the T and call him for the travel. B1 looks at me and bangs the ball to the floor. Ball bounced about 12-15 feet in the air. Bang, T on B1.

As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel, he didn't have control?" I looked at him and asked if he was the HC. He said no, I put my whistle in my mouth, took two steps back while looking at him, and began to put my hands in a T formation. He turned soo quick and went to his bench and sat down before I could blow my whistle.LOL I let it go and did not T him thinking he got the message.

Should I have T'd him up? What would you have done in this situation involving the AC?

theumpferee:

As far as B1 is concerned, you did good.

How you handled Assistant Coach B is a different manner. Whenever the ball is dead and the clock is stopped, I never use the whistle to assess a technical foul to a coach or player, unless I absolutely have too. In your case. I would told him he has a T and then report it to the table. By avoiding the use of your whistle and giving the T sign, it helps keep a potentional volitale situation from getting worse. And in your case it is a lot quicker and you would have been able to whack him before he turned around and slithered away.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio