The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

With the changing rule of when subs can enter a game during free throws, one school is now trying to make more subtitutions after the second made free throw. Usually a time when one would only see a sub for the shooter... The coach stated reason was to slow up any potential fast breaks... I'm guessing that his team is very slow at getting back on defense . Anyway there is some controversy if this is legal.. Doesn't this negate what the new rule is trying to instill???
A 2nd question, along these same lines, can a substitution be made after any "made" basket?
jc
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
With the changing rule of when subs can enter a game during free throws, one school is now trying to make more subtitutions after the second made free throw. Usually a time when one would only see a sub for the shooter... The coach stated reason was to slow up any potential fast breaks... I'm guessing that his team is very slow at getting back on defense . Anyway there is some controversy if this is legal.. Doesn't this negate what the new rule is trying to instill???
The rule requiring subs to wait until just prior to the last FT has nothing to do with making a subsitution AFTER the last FT. A coach may substitute after the last made FT, but we do not stop the game to let him in unless he is at the table when the ball comes through the net. We also don't allow him to run a continuous stream of subs during the same dead ball.

I really think this substitution rule should be changed to only allow the sub to enter if he is replacing the shooter.

Quote:
A 2nd question, along these same lines, can a substitution be made after any "made" basket?
jc
Now think about that question! Are you sure you really meant to ask that?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
jc
If by "made" you meant GT or BI, yes - clock is stopped and ball is dead.

If you're talking normal field goal, I urge you to do what BktBallRef said, and think about it.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:15pm
Suppref

Quote:
[
jc [/B]
This is basketball...not hockey!!!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
This is basketball...not hockey!!!
Though there was an interesting post a few weeks ago about a ref who had gotten the two somewhat confused.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

i think the rule just says the sub has the be at the table before the ball is ready to put into play. As long as he meets these requirements then you can have a chain of subs up to five.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
i think the rule just says the sub has the be at the table before the ball is ready to put into play. As long as he meets these requirements then you can have a chain of subs up to five.
Why do you have to stop at five? If their are 15 players on a team, you could have ten. But don't let that happen. If you put a stop to it, the coaches will adjust, the kids will get to the table and the game won't be unnecessarily delayed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Rules require that a sub report to the table and be ready to enter game when beckoned by official. If coach wants to take a chance that shot will be made, let him. If shot misses, subs don't enter. No advantage.
Things do get confusing sometimes. I try to always go back to the basics to make sure I don't screw things up.