The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 21, 2000, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Anyone know which tax code to use for Form Schedule C?

The closest I can figure is 541990: all other professional, scientific, & technical services.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2000, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The tax code you are looking for is 713900. That is the code number my tax person used.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

I also used 713900. Don't forget to file the self-employment tax too (unfortunately)...
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
And all this time I've been using 999999
HMMMMM!

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Cool

I've been using 666. At least for the SE portion of my taxes.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Pizanno:

And I've used 711300, so go figure. If you ever get an answer from a true tax preparer, let us know would you??
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Mine said to use all nines.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I've used 711210 since 1980 and think the IRS will accept almost anything since we describe what we do in another block.
One thing is good about this post it shows that a lot of people do use Schedule C for their taxes. A lot of people say they do not file or do not take advantage of this tax allowance. I tell them they are missing out on significant savings, but are daunted by the paperwork.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

What does 711210 designate?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

bsilliman -

Please enighten me on Sched C.

Thanks.

Jack
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that 711210 most closely resembles what we do. For those that don't know, Schedule C is the schedule that accompanies Form 1040, used to report income and expenses associated with businesses operated as a sole proprietorship. Unless you are incorporated or a partner in a refereeing partnership (both highly unlikely), you should be filing this form to take advantages of all of the deductions to help offset your income. The net business income from the Schedule C should be reported on Schedule SE - where you compute the self employment taxes due on your net earnings.

I am a CPA with several years of tax experience. Feel free to E-mail me if you have any specific questions regarding your referee income and deductions. I would be glad to assist one of my brothers in stripes.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

With all of the sue happy parents out there, would it make sense for officials to incorporate? Would this limit our liability if a kid gets hurt and we are sued?

Every time a kid goes down in my games I think of those poor guys who called that hockey game in Chicago where the kid got paralyzed. They may lose everything over what is probably their hobby.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Brian Watson--711210 is for "Spectator sports including professional sports clubs & racetrack operations."

Thanks Barry Morris for the words on Schedule C. Here is a questions which may apply to other people who are fully retired and only officiate sports.
"Since I am fully retired can I deduct mileage to and from my personal home without declaring my home (or a portion of it) as my place of business?"
In defense of your answer I put this question to a fellow basketball referee here in Las Vegas who also works for the IRS. He is one who would go to court and defend you against the IRS. He stated that it was "perfectly legal, despite the IRS saying that they would consider it commuting", which is not deductable.
Since I retired here in 1992 I have always used every mile I drive to games and meetings.
We do appreciate your offer of help.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Brian Watson, incorporation brings costs to incorporate and the problem of double taxation (don't ask). There's another solution for the liability problem. It's called insurance. Your state association should cover you during HS games. If you join NASO, you're provided 3 million dollars (I think) of liability insurance for all sanctioned games of any organization (rec league, church, HS) and, lastly, check with your personal agent regarding umbrella insurance if you're still feeling antsy.

bsilliman- Like many tax questions, there are some grey areas but I think your IRS buddy is correct. I think you could consider your home your place of business even though I wouldn't depreciate anything.For tax years after 1998, the phrase "principal place of business" includes a place of business used by the taxpayer for the administrative or management activities of any trade or business of the taxpayer if there is no other fixed location of such trade or business where the taxpayer conducts substantial administrative or management activities of the trade or business.

I am sure you do all of your scheduling and accounting at home. The only thing you do in your business as a R is to go to a gym and officiate. All the rest of the administrative and management activities occur in your home office.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Isnt there a minimum income from officiating before you are required to report on your income tax returns? Schools don't report to IRS unless over a certain amount is paid by the school to an official. Don't recall the amount.