Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
End lf game, break away for big guy for slam dunk. One person to beat who is not going to let him do it.

A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in. Regular play. On the way out of the gym I commented that A1 should have bounced it off of his own backboard and slammed it in. My Co said it would have been illegal (double dribble). He sighted the rule of passing off of an opponent's backboard and the same should apply if he was not attempting a shot.

We both looked in the rule book (NHSF), but could not find a case or rule to cover this.
Just a quick point:
A1 throws the ball up against the backboard, B1 fouls A1 - Common foul not shooting foul, ball is dead, A1 dunks the ball - Could be a T on A1.

I fail to see how this could be an advantage...
If A1 threw it off his own backboard and was fouled while doing so, why would you call a "common" foul and not a shooting foul? Rules reference please.
Rule 4 Section 40 Article 1 - The Act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

Most players will throw the ball up, then jump to dunk. As soon as they've released the ball and they are on the floor they are no longer a shooter and the foul is a common foul.
Where does the play say that A1 was on the floor when fouled or that the foul occurred prior to the ball being released?
Exactly. You could have a common foul under certain specific circumstances, but you could also have a shooting foul under other circumstances too. You can't make a blanket statement, however, that it's always a common foul.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in. Regular play.
Reading too much into it, guys. Shooters are fouled all the time to keep them from hitting the shot. Do you call an intentional every time?
If in my judgement the nature of the foul fits either the "designed to neutralize opponents obvious advantageous position" or "if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent" provisions of 4-19-3, absolutely. Not saying it was in this case, just that from the description given it might be.....which is why I asked.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 09:30am
cingram

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Where does the play say that A1 was on the floor when fouled or that the foul occurred prior to the ball being released?
Exactly. You could have a common foul under certain specific circumstances, but you could also have a shooting foul under other circumstances too. You can't make a blanket statement, however, that it's always a common foul. [/B]
I'm not trying to make a blanket statement that it would ONLY be a common foul - there is the chance that there could be a common foul - a greater chance then if the player had kept the ball in the first place.

Even if he tossed the ball and was jumping up to grab and dunk it would be a common foul as a shooting foul would only occur during a try or tap - (unless of course you deem him to be going for a tap) Although if the foul came as he grabbed the ball you would have a shooting foul.

I was just pointing out that I don't see the distinct advantage of throwing the ball off the backboard.

I was just pointing out that the player is a shooter until they release it (if they are still on the floor) then they become a rebounder and any foul at that point would be common not a shooting. As soon as they get the 'rebound' they are a shooter again. I don't think I've seen any players jump, throw it off the backboard, grab it and dunk it (except maybe in a dunking competition).