The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bounce ball off of your own backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16609-bounce-ball-off-your-own-backboard.html)

Damian Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:36pm

End lf game, break away for big guy for slam dunk. One person to beat who is not going to let him do it.

A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in. Regular play. On the way out of the gym I commented that A1 should have bounced it off of his own backboard and slammed it in. My Co said it would have been illegal (double dribble). He sighted the rule of passing off of an opponent's backboard and the same should apply if he was not attempting a shot.

We both looked in the rule book (NHSF), but could not find a case or rule to cover this.

mick Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
End lf game, break away for big guy for slam dunk. One person to beat who is not going to let him do it.

A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in. Regular play. On the way out of the gym I commented that A1 should have bounced it off of his own backboard and slammed it in. My Co said it would have been illegal (double dribble). He sighted the rule of passing off of an opponent's backboard and the same should apply if he was not attempting a shot.

We both looked in the rule book (NHSF), but could not find a case or rule to cover this.

...Thus, it is not against the rules. ;)
mick

Nevadaref Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:04pm

It may be against NHSF rules, but it is not against NFHS rules. :D

BktBallRef Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:43pm

The rule book specifically differentiates throwing the ball off your own backboard versus throwing it off the opponent's. Your partner was wrong. It would not be a double or illegal dribble.

TimTaylor Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:43am

Just curious, did you charge B1 with an intentional foul? From your description it seems to fit the definition.....

Damian Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:55pm

It wasn't intentional

The defender went up strong after the shot. There was no intentional foul to call. My observation to bounce it off of the backboard would have been to disrupt the defensive timing and make a slam possible.

zebraman Thu Nov 25, 2004 01:58am

Re: It wasn't intentional

Quote:

The defender went up strong after the shot. There was no intentional foul to call. My observation to bounce it off of the backboard would have been to disrupt the defensive timing and make a slam possible.
Damian,

It doesn't have to be "intentional" to be intentional. Excessive contact can be an intentional foul even if B1 meant no harm and got a lot of ball. That's what Tim meant.

Z

TimTaylor Thu Nov 25, 2004 02:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Damian,

It doesn't have to be "intentional" to be intentional. Excessive contact can be an intentional foul even if B1 meant no harm and got a lot of ball. That's what Tim meant.

Z

That coupled with your original description
Quote:

A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in.
.... sounded to me like the classical definition of an intentional foul.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

BktBallRef Thu Nov 25, 2004 09:00am

Quote:

A1 is going in for a fast break, B1 fouls to keep A1 from slamming it in. Regular play.
Reading too much into it, guys. Shooters are fouled all the time to keep them from hitting the shot. Do you call an intentional every time?

ChuckElias Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:30am

Re: Re: It wasn't intentional

Quote:

It doesn't have to be "intentional" to be intentional.
Don't you mean: It doesn't have to be intentional to be "intentional"? :)

Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy strikes again!!!

BktBallRef Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:48am

Re: Re: Re: It wasn't intentional

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

It doesn't have to be "intentional" to be intentional.
Don't you mean: It doesn't have to be intentional to be "intentional"? :)

Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy strikes again!!!

How about just Mr. Annoying? :D

cingram Thu Nov 25, 2004 03:26pm

Quote:

Just a quick point:
A1 throws the ball up against the backboard, B1 fouls A1 - Common foul not shooting foul, ball is dead, A1 dunks the ball - Could be a T on A1.

I fail to see how this could be an advantage...

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 25, 2004 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cingram
Quote:

Just a quick point:
A1 throws the ball up against the backboard, B1 fouls A1 - <font color = red>Common</font> foul not shooting foul, ball is dead, A1 dunks the ball - Could be a T on A1.

If A1 threw it off his own backboard and was fouled while doing so, why would you call a "common" foul and not a shooting foul? Rules reference please.

cingram Thu Nov 25, 2004 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Just a quick point:
A1 throws the ball up against the backboard, B1 fouls A1 - <font color = red>Common</font> foul not shooting foul, ball is dead, A1 dunks the ball - Could be a T on A1.

If A1 threw it off his own backboard and was fouled while doing so, why would you call a "common" foul and not a shooting foul? Rules reference please.

Rule 4 Section 40 Article 1 - The Act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

Most players will throw the ball up, then jump to dunk. As soon as they've released the ball and they are on the floor they are no longer a shooter and the foul is a common foul.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 25, 2004 05:59pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Just a quick point:

Rule 4 Section 40 Article 1 - The Act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

Most players will throw the ball up, then jump to dunk. As soon as they've released the ball and they are on the floor they are no longer a shooter and the foul is a common foul.

Where does the play say that A1 was on the floor when fouled or that the foul occurred prior to the ball being released?