The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is after a throw-in begins.

What's the correct answer?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 05:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by cyoreferee
Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is after a throw-in begins.

Maybe.
Maybe???? What kind of an answer is that? Let's give the guy some real help. That's what we're here for.

The correct answer is "perhaps".
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 06:02pm
In Memoriam

Sometimes.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

The correct answer is "false".

Which leads to the question "why?".
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

The answer I get from most is false, but the question in how it is phrased makes no logical sense.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The answer I get from most is false, but the question in how it is phrased makes no logical sense.
The ball becomes live on a throw-in when it is at the disposal of the thrower.The question, though certainly not ideally phrased, is asking whether you should ignore physical contact between the time the ball first became dead and the time that it becomes live again. The correct answer is "false", and the rules reference is R4-19-1NOTE.

Btw, welcome to the forum.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

I put false.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

OK - here's a real answer. The statement is false because it has an incorrect component. For the statement to be true, it would have to read as follows:

"Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is intentional and/or flagrant."

The test part of the question is to find out if you know when you can call a contact foul during a dead ball - it really doesn't have anything to do with your understanding of throw-ins.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

OK - here's a real answer. The statement is false because it has an incorrect component. For the statement to be true, it would have to read as follows:

"Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is intentional and/or flagrant."

The test part of the question is to find out if you know when you can call a contact foul during a dead ball - it really doesn't have anything to do with your understanding of throw-ins.
Exactly why I put false.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
There's one situation I can think of where you can have a common personal foul during a dead ball. Airborne shooter A1, after the ball has passed through the basket, crashes into B1. This could be a block or charge even if not intentional and/or flagrant.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
There's one situation I can think of where you can have a common personal foul during a dead ball. Airborne shooter A1, after the ball has passed through the basket, crashes into B1. This could be a block or charge even if not intentional and/or flagrant.
Mark left a few words out. The entire cite for NFHS R4-19-1NOTE says- "Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is ruled intentional and/or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter".
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
The answer is false. 4-19-1 (Note)

ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead.
NOTE: Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter.

Hope this helps!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 08:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

I marked number 18 false, along with everyone else in both associations that I work in. Love it when there's an unanimous consensus!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark left a few words out. The entire cite for NFHS R4-19-1NOTE says- "Contact after the ball is dead is ignored, unless it is ruled intentional and/or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter".
I was thinking of our local men's senior rec league. There are no airborne shooters there because no one can jump anymore.