The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard the phrase from both coaches and officials, "the hand is part of the ball".

1) Is this true?
2) Is there a reference in the rules and where?

I think that type of interpretation promotes bad defense.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

4-24-2 says it's legal, in fact it uses the words TO REACH in this section.

How is attacking the ball bad defense?

To me good defense is moving feet, body positioning, and attacking the ball LEGALLY.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

That is precisely my point. Normally slapping at the ball is done in lieu of a player defensively positioning his /her body between the offensive player and the basket. It usually occurrs when a defensive player has been beaten and I see no reason why the rules of basketball would want to reward a defensive player for lazy or inferior play.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abode
That is precisely my point. Normally slapping at the ball is done in lieu of a player defensively positioning his /her body between the offensive player and the basket. It usually occurrs when a defensive player has been beaten and I see no reason why the rules of basketball would want to reward a defensive player for lazy or inferior play.
I see players all the time attack the ball with good positioning. The matador move happens, but unless the dribbler is sloppy, or the defender has very long arms it is unlikely that you will have the hit on hand/ball, it's usually between the wrist and the elbow, at least that's where I see it.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The rules don't. R4-24-2 says that it's legal to accidentally hit the hand that is contacting the ball. If you feel that the defender's whack on the hand is deliberate instead of accidental, the rules say that you can call it a foul. Your judgement. Personally, I don't think that I would ever be 100% sure that the defender's act was deliberate. I'm not a mind-reader.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
The rules don't. R4-24-2 says that it's legal to accidentally hit the hand that is contacting the ball. If you feel that the defender's whack on the hand is deliberate instead of accidental, the rules say that you can call it a foul. Your judgement. Personally, I don't think that I would ever be 100% sure that the defender's act was deliberate. I'm not a mind-reader.
Wouldn't it then be intentional?

My two sense!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Wouldn't it then be intentional?
Oh, yeah. Definitely. Please tell me when you're gonna make that call though. I wanna be as far away as possible. LOL!