Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Well Nevada, let's go to the videotape & see what it was you said:

Quote:
If the referee is doing his job correctly, this should never happen!
If you're backing off, as I think you are, then that's good.
Yes, I really should have put a smiley at the end of that sentence. In all seriousness, I do believe that it should not happen, but I will certainly back off from using the word never.

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refaholic
Situation A:
At the end of regulation the score is tied 62-62. 4:00 goes on the clock and both teams come out for the start if over time. The ball is tossed up and Team A controled the tip. Right after the jump ball the official scorer hits the horn and beckon's the R to the table. He/She informs the R that he did not count a basket for Team A in regulation and the score really is 64-62 in favor of Team A. Whats the Call?

Situation B:
Same scenario as above except the official scorer beckons the R over prior to the tip off to start overtime. Whats the call?
Okay, I have seen the response to the SitA above, how about SitB?

Do we correct the score to 64-62 then run like crazy or what?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Quote:
Situation A:
At the end of regulation the score is tied 62-62. 4:00 goes on the clock and both teams come out for the start if over time. The ball is tossed up and Team A controled the tip. Right after the jump ball the official scorer hits the horn and beckon's the R to the table. He/She informs the R that he did not count a basket for Team A in regulation and the score really is 64-62 in favor of Team A. Whats the Call?

Situation B:
Same scenario as above except the official scorer beckons the R over prior to the tip off to start overtime. Whats the call?
Okay, I have seen the response to the SitA above, how about SitB?

Do we correct the score to 64-62 then run like crazy or what?
Yes. If the OT hasn't started, then the "correct" score is used and the game is over.

Of course, before you leave, you'lll have to give a T to the coach of the team with the 62 points.

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... and almost all of the officials after a game run into the locker room as soon as the horn sounds and forgets to check the book.
Granted, there are many reasons in favor of leaving the floor immediately after the final buzzer but if the score is within 3pts at the end of regulation I have always checked with the official scorer to make sure the score is correct.

I like that suggestion offered to advise the table to offer a "thumbs up" as we are about to walk (er..sprint) off the floor and to clearly let me know if there is a problem.

I just want to encourage officials to not be so quick to run off the floor if the score warrants a final check. Likewise, it would be prudent to check the score for correctness prior to an O.T. period by directly inquiring instead of assuming it is what it is.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
er..sprint
I don't "sprint", I jog or walk briskly...
Sprinting off makes you look like your running scared, IMO.

Oh yeah...and don't leave the floor without your partner.

Richland, WA