Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Rule 5-7-4 reads "Once the ball becomes live in the extra period, it will be played even though a correction in the fourth quarter score is made." 6-1-1 states the the ball becomes live when "the tossed ball leaves the referee's hand(s)".

I bet this shouldn't be read literally. It must mean the score at the end of the fourth quarter. I can't imagine that it would only apply to a correction of a mistake that affects the score in of the fourth quarter.
If the referee is doing his job correctly, this should never happen! 2-5-7 The referee shall check and approve the score at the end of each half. Pay close attention to those duties of the referee!
I completely disagree.

It certainly is possible for the table to tell you one thing only to correct themselves at a later time. I know it has happened to me and I'm sure it's happened to others.
Now Dan, I'm not saying that the table crew can't get you into big trouble; I'm just saying that the R has a DUTY to check and approve the score at the end of each half. By fulfilling that duty, hopefully, this kind of problem can be avoided.
I also know that most referees either shirk this duty or are not even aware of it. It seems pretty easy to me to ask the scorer if the book matches the scoreboard when you switch the arrow and pick up your jackets at halftime.

I go a step further. I always tell the table crew (home and visiting scorer) to check that their books match up with each other during the halftime intermission and to let me know if there is a problem when we return.
I also instruct them that I will point at them after the final horn as I leave the court. That is my signal to approve the final score. If all is OK they are to give me a thumbs up sign. If we have a problem, I want them to demonstratively wave me over.

I was taught in my first year not to leave the game in the hands of the table. Know the arrow, know the clock, know the score, know the team fouls, etc.