The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down This makes like NO sense at all

"You keep it from getting out by telling people their grade, but not which questions they missed."

Chuck, how is anyone supposed learn anything, if they're not told which questions, they missed. That's one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

If that's the way it is, they might as well just give everybody a grade, based on how long they've been a chapter member, or whatever other criteria they want to use. That would make just about as much sense.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Stew, do you write, or usually write, the NFHS part 1 test? Or a different test, like the IAABO refresher exam?

Just wondering.
I believe the VA VHSL took the NFHS exam part 1 and scrambled the order of the 100 question test making 4 different versions of the same test that was taken by our association.
Stew
We (northern VA) took the exam on Monday and we had versions A-D. Same scenario as Stew with someone sitting every other seat - although we were in a HS cafeteria. I thought it was one of the easiest exams I had ever taken. Although, I did a lot more review/study this year than some past years.

During our rules clinic on 6 Nov, the clinician mentioned that copies of Part I were floating around and the VHSL had changed the order of the questions and had "revised" some of the questions. She also told the story of a vollyball official (who apparently always scored high) scored 50 on the exam. When the answer sheet was compared to the original vollyball exam (no questions changed/rearranged), he scored 100. Guess he was good at memorizing.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
From what I understand, Part I was the same test for all of the A,B,C,& D. Everyone had the same test, but the section questions were in different orders. The best thing to do is get the Athletic Rules Study CD and run through the test over and over and over, thats what help me a whole bunch. As far as the cheating is concerned, I have seen people just share answer with "there" buddies. I just study, study, study!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Bob,

You can speak for yourself on this one. I cannot remember that many T/F answers in order without some idea of what the questions are.

Peace
Don't memorize all the answers. Memorize the groups.

One "trick" is to break the questions into groups of 4 (as they had been in the past). Using T=1 and F=0, assign a binary value to each group. So TTTT = 15, TFTF = 10, FFFT = 1, etc.

Then, assign each value to a letter -- 1=A, 2=B...15=O.

Make up a nonsense sentence using the letters. If you have a group of FFFF=0, use punctuation, or the word "none" or "zero".

So, for the example above (TTTT TFTF FFFT) = 15, 10, 1 = OJA = Obviously Jeff Agrees

It's easier with a longer string.

Takes about 10 minutes to construct. repeat the nonsense to yourself a few times on the way to the test.

Reverse the process once inside.

I was first taught this in HS -- more than 30 years ago. It wasn't new then. Good for a few laughs / bar bets, if it's practiced.

It's not the only "magic" I've seen officials perform -- I've seen some guys swallow their whistles, and others go down the hall and turn into a locker room.

Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: This makes like NO sense at all

Quote:
Originally posted by Been Dare
"You keep it from getting out by telling people their grade, but not which questions they missed."

Chuck, how is anyone supposed learn anything, if they're not told which questions, they missed. That's one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
How's this? "You keep it from getting out by telling people their grade, but not which questions they missed, until the testing period is over". Sorry to be so stupid.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Overkill

You are all correct! Character counts!!

Denny
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: This makes like NO sense at all

Quote:

If that's the way it is, they might as well just give everybody a grade, based on how long they've been a chapter member, or whatever other criteria they want to use. That would make just about as much sense.
The problem is, the Fed creates the test, but the states decide what use to make of it. Obviously, if you want it to be a learning experience, you treat the test one way. If you want it to be a test of rules knowledge, you treat it another.

Chuck's idea is sound, it just addresses a different goal than yours.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Las Vegas does use the NFHS test, which is why I never opened the one that I was sent (which was just the questions, but he way, I never requested the answers).

I have put in the study time on this and I spent a bunch of hours with it. Frankly, I am expecting a score of no less than 97 (I'm hopeful for a 100; that isnt being boastful its just how I approach things, I dont give things 80% of my effort, I give 100% and I expect 100% results--that is the demand I put on myself). I think with the study I put in I could have taken the test closed book and gotten an 80. There are enough easy ones that it would be hard to miss 20. But I dont know. I didnt take it closed. I literally looked up every single question until I found the actual rule that addresses the situation.

But there is a big difference between knowledge and skill. I am a lawyer so I do well at the book stuff. And as a DA rules are right up my alley. I have also studied the hell out of the mechanics and have read the Referee Magazine Official's Guide (which is so cool) cover to cover. And I have watched NBA games and pretended to be lead or trail and made calls. But that is just learning. Its isnt skill. Unlike a test, which I expect to kick butt, I totally expect to make mistake after mistake on the court on Friday and Saturday (those are my first scrimmages, I am totally geeked!). Because I dont have the skill or the judgement yet. And I dont have any real court time (just some time with one of the vetrans working through things, but there werent any live players and we could stop and redo things--not exactly the same as a real game )

Clark
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Sorry Chuck,

I didn't mean that you were stupid. I meant that the whole concept of not tellling people which questions they missed, is stupid.
Sorry about that........
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Seems like it is the members of the club who are the ones doing the most talking during the test. Whether I have the answers of not doesn't matter to me. I will still look and verify what I am doing. For me this is how I retain things. If the guy or gal has to cheat to pass a test, let them call with someone else.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Sorry Chuck,

Quote:
I didn't mean that you were stupid. I meant that the whole concept of not tellling people which questions they missed, is stupid.
Sorry about that........
Ah, don't sweat it. I was grumpy. Just had the mother-in-law move in with us. . .