Thread: overkill
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: Overkill

Quote:
Originally posted by denref
In California we have a 200 question Study Guide (open book) that must be completed prior to our instructional sessions (15 hours for returning officials and 20 hours for 1st and 2nd year officials)and it requires 80% correct for eligibility to work. Then we use a 100 question Classification Exam (4 versions) and it also must be passed at 80%. If an official does not achieve 80% on both of these they can take a Make-up Classification Exam and if they achieve 80% on that then they are eligible to receive assignments.
I'm in northern Nevada and our association is part of the CBOA. We get the CA handbook and study guide and use the CA test. In my opinion this is silly. Here's why: two versions of the CBOA handbook are printed, a membership version and an instructor's version. The instructor's version has all the answers to the 200 study guide questions.
Our crew chiefs have preseason meetings where we go over the study guide questions in small groups. So we get all of the correct answers to these questions. Then the 100 question test that you mention, which comes in four versions labelled A, B, C, and D, consists of 100 of the 200 study guide questions in different orders.
So there is no secret here. You are given both the questions and the answers before you take the test.
I think we also require an 80%, but what moron can't score an 80 after having both the questions and answers beforehand?
The Las Vegas association still uses the NFHS exams. Clark can confirm this.