Official Forum Member

Test Q @A

Please me the Q & A if not to late .. Thanks

[email protected]
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Please Include. [email protected]
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:17pm

It's funny...a test is a test. Whether it is open book or not, it still tests your ability to answer the questions successfully. You still have to submit the answers, right?

So, if you have the answers prior, and you use them to finish the test, it is cheating! What part of that is unclear? You may know the answer without looking it up, but why do you need the answers prior to submitting this "meaningless" test? I can't beleive that all of those involved have already taken the test and are merely checking theanswers with what they submitted.

Gordon, I got an 88. It doesn't matter what you believe. I've taken enough tests over the years to realize that the NFHS test is truly about reading, not just knowledge.

Rut, you keep proving what all of already know about you.
Why would someone in a state that uses a different test just want the answers (not the questions!) to a test that they don't use? The best officials retain their composure and don't fly off the handle when comments are directed at others. Like I said, the best officials...

High School basketball must be very different... on the baseball board we discuss questions, not request the entire enswer sheet. This is not a victimless crime...it penalizes your partners and the athletes. If you are so confident in your abilities and the test doean't mean anything, why do you need to have the answers? You should already know them!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
It's funny...a test is a test. Whether it is open book or not, it still tests your ability to answer the questions successfully. You still have to submit the answers, right?

If you are so confident in your abilities and the test doean't mean anything, why do you need to have the answers? You should already know them!
The only comment I have, and it does bother me, is that we have 5 pages of mostly new officials to this forum requesting test answers. We also at the same time have an excellent test on the backcourt rule that BktBallRef submits every year and is posted in another thread. Approximately 95% of the persons requesting the test answers in this thread are also completely ignoring an actual test that may also be very beneficial to them.

Just wondering- why?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If you are so confident in your abilities and the test doean't mean anything, why do you need to have the answers? You should already know them!
The only comment I have, and it does bother me, is that we have 5 pages of mostly new officials to this forum requesting test answers. We also at the same time have an excellent test on the backcourt rule that BktBallRef submits every year and is posted in another thread. Approximately 95% of the persons requesting the test answers in this thread are also completely ignoring an actual test that may also be very beneficial to them.

Just wondering- why?
I am an IAABO official and have taken a totally different test than the NFHS test. I requested the questions and answers to test myself (I scored a 90) before the upcoming season. I find it difficult to come up with enough scenarios to test myself.

I have responded to BBR's test on the backcourt rule (without the book) and think I answered all but one correctly.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Just wondering- why? [/B]
I am an IAABO official and have taken a totally different test than the NFHS test. I requested the questions and answers to test myself (I scored a 90) before the upcoming season. I find it difficult to come up with enough scenarios to test myself.

I have responded to BBR's test on the backcourt rule (without the book) and think I answered all but one correctly. [/B][/QUOTE]That's great, Dave. I get the IAABO test sent to me every year, and I do it as a refresher too. I also e-mail it to the guys in my association and ask them to write it as a refresher also.They send the answers back to me, and I mark them for them. Takes a little of my time, but it's worth it imo.Surashell can't hurt, anyway.

BBR's test is a good one.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

JR as a new official I understand your concern about new officials getting the answers. I requested the test before I understood that it was actually the very test I would be taking. My intent was to use it as a study aid and another sample test. I thought we would be taking our own test (a different one). Once I got it emailed to me, I learned that I was going to be taking that particular test. I never opened the attachment and didnt use it. I agree that even though the test is open book, as a new official if I cant pass the test under the appropriate time constraints and circumstances as everyone else then I shouldnt get to be an official. And when I took the test I did not use any of the info on discussion threads on the questions from this forum. I want to learn it myself and do it myself. Now that I have taken the test (I finished it yesterday and we turn it in tonite) I have started talking about the questions here. Maybe I am being to anal and scrupulous, and I am not saying that what I did is what everyone should do. I just wanted to make sure I could do it on my own.

Clark
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

By the way, I just found the Backcourt test and will be taking it this afternoon over lunch for my own edification.

Clark
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

[deleted, oops!]
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

May I please get the answers to start my refresher work too please? Thank you!

[email protected]
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:47pm

Jurassic,
I can't believe that we can actually agree on something. I take issue with the fact that these officials are requesting the ANSWERS and another official is enabling them in their bid to cheat the system. While some states may not use the NFHS Part 1 test, the majority do. How can you study for the Part 1 test when all you have requested is the answers?

Many organizations retain past tests (Part 1 and 2) and these are terrific study aids. While they may contain some errors because of rule updates, they will teach what is expected and show what they are looking for each year.

No matter how you slice it, an official is required to know the rules and be able to apply them fairly. That last word is key. It is not fair of you to cheat and score well, while others actually test their knowledge and receive an accurate assessment of their talents. Don't B.S. me about being good on the field and court, but do poorly on tests. Officiating is about reacting to pressure and cheaters show their character. I may hide behind a nom de net, but at least I don't publish my email in a bid to beg for answers. I hope some assignors and state directors check this site and recognize some of these email addresses.

I guess it would be too much top ask the thread starter to respond and support his rationale. Coward...
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jurassic,
I can't believe that we can actually agree on something. I take issue with the fact that these officials are requesting the ANSWERS and another official is enabling them in their bid to cheat the system. While some states may not use the NFHS Part 1 test, the majority do. How can you study for the Part 1 test when all you have requested is the answers?

Many organizations retain past tests (Part 1 and 2) and these are terrific study aids. While they may contain some errors because of rule updates, they will teach what is expected and show what they are looking for each year.

No matter how you slice it, an official is required to know the rules and be able to apply them fairly. That last word is key. It is not fair of you to cheat and score well, while others actually test their knowledge and receive an accurate assessment of their talents. Don't B.S. me about being good on the field and court, but do poorly on tests. Officiating is about reacting to pressure and cheaters show their character. I may hide behind a nom de net, but at least I don't publish my email in a bid to beg for answers. I hope some assignors and state directors check this site and recognize some of these email addresses.

I guess it would be too much top ask the thread starter to respond and support his rationale. Coward...
How can you cheat on an open book test? You still have not answered that little question, perhaps someone can e-mail the answer to you.

While you are on this bogus crusade, you repeatedly over look the obvious, which is: For the vast majority of officials this is open book, i.e. that means you can look up the answers. That makes this a study guide more than a test.

Knowing the rules does not mean you can apply them, getting 100% on the test, closed book, does not automatically make you a good official.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

If that is not the pot calling the kettle BLACK!!!

Windy,

You insult people. Call people names. Throw in their face their lack of ability because you do not like the answers. Now you want to talk about character and what assignors should think of people that are taking what is an open book test? What is your name? Why are you such the coward in letting us all know who you are, so we can find out what your character is and let your assignors know how your behavior is being perceived? You have the nerve to question the character and the integrity of people on this issue, but you have done nothing but violate all the tenets of officiating with your constant name calling and insults to people who simply have a difference of opinion than you do. If the person that started this post is a coward, when anyone looks up a coward in the dictionary, your name is there in big yellow letters.

You have a lot of freakin nerve.

Peace
Closed Thread