The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:56am

I will respond to your latest tome in next. I just noticed another thread...is their an NCAA test for basketball officials? I could have sworn you said that the only test you are required to take was Fed.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Seems to be some double standard here.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
I will respond to your latest tome in next. I just noticed another thread...is their an NCAA test for basketball officials? I could have sworn you said that the only test you are required to take was Fed.
There are NCAA Tests that you can take. If you attend a NCAA Rules Meeting you can get a copy of the test in the Official's Manual that they give you. It is an open book test and if you choose not to take it you do not have to. It has nothing to do with assignments unless an assignor decides to use it for some reason. But if that is the case, it is an open book test. You can confirm, confer with other officials to get the answers. You know the same thing you call "cheating."

It is required to take a test, but the same rules apply. You or anyone else has yet to show me a rule that state it is against any rule to share answers or result. There no rule with the NF and there is not IHSA rule that covers this. The IHSA set guideline with our rating system because they felt some rules were violated. They have done no such thing. I have attended two Rules meetings and have yet to hear any comment about the test and how to not violate any rules. If what I have done is cheating, so it when guys give people the answers when they ask a specific question off of the test. I know when I was in college I could not share on answer to benefit my fellow classmate in any way when we are in the classroom taking a test. I do not see you jumping on those that have asked for the answer to a question or giving the answer with the test still out. If the playoffs are such a concern, then that one or two answers might help someone get extra points. Why are that OK, and what you claim I did is wrong? So I guess I can do half the answers on my own and get the other half thru the internet by asking questions and that is OK, but giving out the answers without the questions to folks in states that do not use the same test for the same purposes as they do in Illinois is wrong?

I see it is all based on your opinion, not any legal rule or code that is followed.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
WCB

It's an open book test. Whether the answers are posted for all to see or not it's a "piece of cake" to get the correct answers if you really want them. If the powers that be really wanted an objective test they could hold it as closed book test as part of a Rules Interpretation Meeting. If it were done this way the weeping and knashing of teeth would be unbearable. Don't you think they know that the answers are shared? IMHO test scores (except for the Certified Test) should have no bearing on post season assignments.
The last line says it all. In Illinois, where you live and work, this test does matter. There are other states that count the test towards promotion, as well. Whether the answers are easy to get or not has no bearing. It is still cheating.

Want a more real example...just because you have a friend that can get you heroin, doesn't make it any less illegal. Are we supposed to wring our hads because others don't have such connections? Officials are supposed to uphold the rules. Passing out the answers while the test is still open is wrong. This is not a grey area. Enforce the rules or don't take the check!
WCB

Your begging the question. Your real example is a poor analogy. You are comparing something that is unlawful as opposed to something that is unethical. Never said sharing answers is right or wrong. That is up to each individual to decide for him/herself. Your're only cheating yourself and short changing the players if you don't review the rules each season. More importantly if you make a mistake learn the correct ruling and don't make it again.
Gave my opinion that test results should have no bearing on post season assignments. I'm well aware that they are a tiny piece of the puzzle.

Do you honestly think that the powers that be are unaware that the answers are shared? Obviously they don't care based upon the format.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking Can't we just all get along!!!!

Everyone is going to have different opinions, no use arguing them....they have that opinion for a reason and probably not going to change it most of the time!!!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Do you honestly think that the powers that be are unaware that the answers are shared? Obviously they don't care based upon the format.
Not only do they not care, they know what the results are of every official. I am sure more than 70% of officials get a 90 or higher. It is probably higher percentage if you talk about those that that gets the 5 points for playoff consideration (97-100 on Test). All you have to do is be a member of an association and you can get the answers from someone. Many do the test on their own and debate the answers they feel the group has wrong. Many others just take the answers and do not look at the test enough. That is up to them and their personal value. I always want to do the test to see what I do not understand or might disagree with. It is really silly to me the double standard.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Want a more real example...just because you have a friend that can get you heroin, doesn't make it any less illegal.
This is stupid.

Obviously you believe Jeff's violated an honor code by giving out HIS answers to the test, just as obviously he disagrees. You have fulfilled YOUR responsibilities by reporting him to the powers that be who shall investigate (maybe) and decide. Your work here is done, now off you go to perform yet more good works.

It's OK to not like Rut, btw, we all go through that. Just stop being such a f'ing @sshole about it.

Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Want a more real example...just because you have a friend that can get you heroin, doesn't make it any less illegal.
This is stupid.

Obviously you believe Jeff's violated an honor code by giving out HIS answers to the test, just as obviously he disagrees. You have fulfilled YOUR responsibilities by reporting him to the powers that be who shall investigate (maybe) and decide. Your work here is done, now off you go to perform yet more good works.

It's OK to not like Rut, btw, we all go through that. Just stop being such a f'ing @sshole about it.

I agree. We've gone 'round and 'round on this. And, mostly, we've been able to disagree without being disagreeable. I'm going to close the thread before it turns from arguing opinions to arguing personalities.

Closed Thread