The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:08pm
M.A.S.H.

If...

If it is closed book, then what does it matter? It would mean that it would be a supervised exam, therefore they wouldn't have access to any posted key (ie internet). Or.... did I miss something?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: If...

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
If it is closed book, then what does it matter? It would mean that it would be a supervised exam, therefore they wouldn't have access to any posted key (ie internet). Or.... did I miss something?
The purpose of any test is to determine what you know by sampling the various topics. The point of having a closed book test is to encourage you to study the entire set of topics, not just the answers to the test.

If a person has a copy of the test they only need to study the content of the test...if even that. They could also just memorize certain answers if they don't know or understand them. They may not even bother studying or learning.

A lot of people simply want a copy of the answers so they don't have to put in the work themselves.

(These are the same kind people who slept through algebra in the 9th grade...or never even took algebra...and are now complaining because, without skills or knowledge, they can't land a decent job.)

Also note that, since it is a T/F test, a monkey (read coach if you wish ) could score 50% on the test by plotting their team's hit/miss pattern as his answers.

So, someone scoring 60-70% really doesn't know very much.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:54pm
M.A.S.H.

Bingo. I don't disagree with you at all. However, I do the tests and then go back over them and see what my mistakes were. By the same token, I know that probably some people just want the answers to complete the test and get it out of the way. However, they are going to be the ones who pay when they are on the floor and they blow/miss a call.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: If...

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
The purpose of any test is to determine what you know by sampling the various topics. The point of having a closed book test is to encourage you to study the entire set of topics, not just the answers to the test.

If a person has a copy of the test they only need to study the content of the test...if even that. They could also just memorize certain answers if they don't know or understand them. They may not even bother studying or learning.

A lot of people simply want a copy of the answers so they don't have to put in the work themselves.

(These are the same kind people who slept through algebra in the 9th grade...or never even took algebra...and are now complaining because, without skills or knowledge, they can't land a decent job.)

Also note that, since it is a T/F test, a monkey (read coach if you wish ) could score 50% on the test by plotting their team's hit/miss pattern as his answers.

Surely there might be some guess work, but I've found that in a closed setting, the ones who missed them on test 1 are going to miss the same type of question in Test 2 because so
many of the questions have a little twist.

So, I like to have the answers to be able to see what I'm missing because many times, the same situations will come up in the ballgames that we officiate.

Practice might make perfect, but only when its perfect practice.

Many many officials miss the same things night after night after night simply because no one corrected their mistaken interpretation.

I personally think the test make the officials get in the book because they usually cover just about every section of the rules in some manner.

Since we use Test 2 for our grading test 1 is a very good help.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Someone else on my side!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

YES!!!!!!!!!
I've been saying this on this forum for quite a while now. I've demonstrated mathematically how someone who only knows 50% of the answers would be expected to score a 75, by just guessing on the 50 questions that they didn't know. They don't even have to read them!

To score 60-70%, one only need know 20-40% of the answers! Can you imagine working with a partner that only got 20-40% of his calls correct?!?! What a nightmare!
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Talking Answers

If you would be so kind as to add me to your list to get a copy of the answers I would appreciate it..
email address: [email protected]

I have taken test and would like to check the answers..

Thanks
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: If...

Quote:
It's not that hard to memorize 100 T/F answers -- although it was easier when the test was neatly broken into 25 groups of 4 questions.

Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:01am
M.A.S.H.

Re: Re: If...

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
It's not that hard to memorize 100 T/F answers -- although it was easier when the test was neatly broken into 25 groups of 4 questions.

Again, if they choose to do this. They are only cheating themselves as they will pay for it on the court.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 12:40pm
9 times

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Please send to [email protected]

I'd just like the key so I can figure out the answer to the 2 or 3 questions that the NFHS always poorly words each year. My wife - who doesn't referee, never played basketball, and doesn't follow the game except to watch her husband do an occasional game or 2 - isn't involved into the intricacies of rules study and she got a 78 last year, so we're not talking about the need to really cheat here.

[Edited by ShadowStripes on Oct 28th, 2004 at 11:49 AM]
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is there anyone that asked that I did not send an email to?

I cannot remember everyone I emailed the answers to. Please email me at [email protected] if you need the test.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 02:11pm

It is cheating...

Jeff,
Because some of this has been covered here and on other sites, I'm surprised by some of the IHSA officials replies.

No matter the NFHS sport, the importance of the OPEN BOOK test is to inform and evaluate. An official that obtains the answers and then takes the test has done more than just cheat him/herself. While some may indeed have taken the test long ago and are only looking to verify their suspicions, others will be using this to cheat.

In Illinois, we can take the Part 1 test online and the score will be posted immediately. About a month later the answer key is posted. It never fails though, one guy will get a perfect score and be rightfully proud. His friends will ask to "check" their answers and blame the wording as a perennial stumbling block. Now they take the test and ...WOW...get a perfect score, as well. In this state, one of the many factors that is computed into playoff assignments is your Part 1 score! How fair is it to pass along a bogus test to the guys who score a 92 without help?

Officiating is about keeping things fair. You have just compromised the process and done a tremendous disservice to those officials that aren't capable of achieving on or off the court. I disagree with those that think it will all wash out on the field or court. By then, it's too late - now the players, coaches and fans have to see that you didn't know the actual rule.

If your name was JJ, Alstadt or Olsen, I would still report you to the IHSA. Copies of your transmissions have been forwarded to them. It is sad that you took pride in helping others cheat.

I had to come back and edit this. I just went online and saw that in our state, the Part 1 Test is open until November 15th! You emailed answers to people that still have time to take the test!

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Oct 27th, 2004 at 03:43 PM]
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Tanner, it's probably best to ignore him. He's only here to try to antagonize Rut. He adds absolutely nothing of value to this forum.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Tanner, it's probably best to ignore him. He's only here to try to antagonize Rut. He adds absolutely nothing of value to this forum.
I agree! Thanks Chuck for the words of wisdom!!
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Re: It is cheating...

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue

In Illinois, we can take the Part 1 test online and the score will be posted immediately. About a month later the answer key is posted.

In this state, one of the many factors that is computed into playoff assignments is your Part 1 score!

I had to come back and edit this. I just went online and saw that in our state, the Part 1 Test is open until November 15th! You emailed answers to people that still have time to take the test!

JRut, are these points true? Just wondering.

If these points are true, and an official's online Part 1 test score is related to possible playoff assignments, then I would certainly agree that using supplied answers is just plain wrong. I believe that some other states also use the Part 1 exam as their official exam too, and haven't formally written the test yet either. I get the marking key sheet for both the NFHS Part 1 and 2 tests every year, but I am very careful who I send them too. And, btw, every year I personally write the test closed book to see what I know and where I need to get my head into the book. Iow, I pretty much agree with Camron Rust's take on this.
Closed Thread