The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Whew! This game on ESPN is a graduate class in officiating by itself. Plenty of physical play and whistles, but did the officials get this one wrong, or is there a difference between NCAA and NFHS rules in the following situation?

Personal foul on a Wake player followed immediately by a dead ball technical on Wake (may have been on the same player).

It appeared to me that the officials first administered the technical with the lane cleared and then put the players on the line for the bonus. In high school, we'd penalize the fouls in the order they occurred and shoot the bonus first, followed by the technical, with the lane cleared for both.

Anyone see this? If so, did my eyes deceive me or was this proper administration?

Sven
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
your eyes are fine... ;)

In NCAA play, the technicals are administered immediately after they occur. I believe they are using the term "point of interruption".
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Well?

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
In NCAA play, the technicals are administered immediately after they occur. I believe they are using the term "point of interruption".
I guess that means the offended team doesn't automatically get the ball after the T (since I'm not familiar with the NCAA rule)?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Right. As of this year (men's and women's NCAA), all technical fouls are administered FIRST, then the game is resumed at the "point of interruption," regardless of who received the technical.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
Right. As of this year (men's and women's NCAA), all technical fouls are administered FIRST, then the game is resumed at the "point of interruption," regardless of who received the technical.
That's all non-flagrant technical fouls ...
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Details, details.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

more details, point of interuption unless it is flagrant or intentional.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 12:17pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Bart has it right...

There are now three different penalties for technical fouls, depending on the type of technical foul.

For "administrative" technicals, such as the book being incorrect, reaching through the plane, delay of game, hanging on the rim, etc. the penalty is one free throw for the opposing team and resumption of play at the point of interruption.

For unsportsmanlike technicals, such as disrespectfully addressing an official, taunting, etc. the penalty is two free throws for the opposing team and resumption of play at the point of interruption.

For intentional and flagrant technicals, such as fighting, an intentional foul during a dead ball, etc. the penalty is two free throws for the opposing team and a throw-in at half-court for the opposing team. In this case the technical is administered exactly as the old rule - or just as the NF rule would be administered.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Bradley, just a small thing but, i think the intentional is still a throw in at the spot of the foul.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional personal . . . yes.

Intentional technical . . . no.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 03:44pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Todd's right - a throw-in for an intentional technical would be at half-court.

Also, as of January 1st, the shot clock does not reset on technical fouls when the offensive team retains control of the ball; however, it does reset, regardless, on intentional and flagrant technicals.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget that if the offensive team is to retain the ball back after a technical. There will not be a reseting of the shot clock. Jan 1 NCAA clarification letter...

keep smiling

SH
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Don't forget that if the offensive team is to retain the ball back after a technical. There will not be a reseting of the shot clock. Jan 1 NCAA clarification letter...

keep smiling

SH
That's only if the team committing the T keeps the ball. If it's an intentional or flagrant T, the other team always gets the ball, so the clock is always reset. (If the "defense" commits a "normal" T, then the clock is also reset).
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking Holy cow.....

one needs a College Degree to interpret the correct administration of the NCAA "T".