Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Chuck, when you say no do-overs, do you mean you would subtract the X seconds from the clock? Example if three seconds passed before you noticed the clock was not running, would you take off those three seconds before resuming play?
Absolutely, without question, yes. Take off whatever time you have definite knowledge of and put the ball in play wherever it was when you blew the whistle.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Wink

In FIBA rules, keep re-setting the clock until the USSR wins.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'd sort of assume they are attacking the basket as soon as they get their hands on the ball, even if that's back under the other basket.
I should've said this earlier. In deciding whether or not the offensive team is attacking the basket, you can use the same criteria as you would for deciding whether to stop play for an injured defensive player. You don't stop the play if the offense is attacking, but as soon as they pull back, or stop going to the basket, you kill it. Same thing with the situation we're discussing.

If they're not in the act of shooting, driving to the basket, or about to dump it inside for their buy guy, kill it and get the clock set correctly.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Chuck on this answer... stop and correct the situation

However, why would we be keeping back-court time if there is no possibility of a backcourt violation - less than 10 seconds on the clock? Personally, I don't do any arm-swinging if there are less than 10 seconds left in the game. And if I catch myself habitually swinging, I stop.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

However, why would we be keeping back-court time if there is no possibility of a backcourt violation - less than 10 seconds on the clock? Personally, I don't do any arm-swinging if there are less than 10 seconds left in the game. And if I catch myself habitually swinging, I stop.
So if you did not have definite knowledge of elapsed time what would you do?
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by DFM7
Quote:

Blow the whistle, put the ball back in play where it was when you blew the whistle, and start at 10 seconds.

Adam
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, why would we be keeping back-court time if there is no possibility of a backcourt violation - less than 10 seconds on the clock?
Just for this situation. Once I see that the clock has started, I stop swinging the arms, but I still keep the time in my head.

Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
By the book, you would stop the game and make sure the timer starts it correctly the next time. You would resume play by putting the ball in play at the spot nearest to where it was when you blew the whistle, with no change to the clock.

In real life, you take your best, careful guess. Stop the game, take a couple seconds off the clock and put the ball in play at the closest spot to where it was when you blew the whistle.

If the ball is in the frontcourt when I spot the error, I would take 3 or 4 seconds off the clock, depending on the how fast the ballhandler brought it up. If the ball is still in the backcourt, I would take 2 seconds off the clock.

It's not by the book, but that's what I would do. I don't think you can say, "Sorry the clock guy messed up and gave the offense a few extra seconds; but I'm not going to do anything about it."
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'd sort of assume they are attacking the basket as soon as they get their hands on the ball, even if that's back under the other basket.
I should've said this earlier. In deciding whether or not the offensive team is attacking the basket, you can use the same criteria as you would for deciding whether to stop play for an injured defensive player. You don't stop the play if the offense is attacking, but as soon as they pull back, or stop going to the basket, you kill it. Same thing with the situation we're discussing.

If they're not in the act of shooting, driving to the basket, or about to dump it inside for their buy guy, kill it and get the clock set correctly.
What I had in mind was a fast-moving play to get the ball downcourt ahead of the defense. Not necessarily a fast-break, maybe a passing play. But then I realized that the defense probably isn't going to be in the back court, so that shoots down my image. On the other hand, it bears thinking about. If the defense is pressing heavily, and A3 gets down court alone, and the ball is being passed quickly to them, even if it's not across the division line yet, I'm not going to take away that chance. I expect you'll agree with me on this one exception to your procedure.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
By the book, you would stop the game and make sure the timer starts it correctly the next time. You would resume play by putting the ball in play at the spot nearest to where it was when you blew the whistle, with no change to the clock.

In real life, you take your best, careful guess. Stop the game, take a couple seconds off the clock and put the ball in play at the closest spot to where it was when you blew the whistle.

If the ball is in the frontcourt when I spot the error, I would take 3 or 4 seconds off the clock, depending on the how fast the ballhandler brought it up. If the ball is still in the backcourt, I would take 2 seconds off the clock.

It's not by the book, but that's what I would do. I don't think you can say, "Sorry the clock guy messed up and gave the offense a few extra seconds; but I'm not going to do anything about it."
I fully agree that the clock must be stopped. If not, you're going to have a real mess when you blow the whistle to end the game when A1 is waiting for 3 seconds to show on the clock before launching the play the coach just drew up in the timeout.

There are a few times I would either wait or not stop it at all.
  • A1 has an imminent scoring opportunity.
  • The score difference is more than a few...maybe 10 more than the time left in seconds.
    Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 01:20am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by som44
    Situation. Team A down by one--8 Seconds to go in game-snip--since you are counting down for a ten second violation snip
    I can't be the only one wondering why som44 is counting for the ten-second violation with only eight seconds remaining in the game at the time of the inbounds, can I?
    Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:17pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    Quote:
    Situation. Team A down by one--8 Seconds to go in game-snip--since you are counting down for a ten second violation snip
    I can't be the only one wondering why som44 is counting for the ten-second violation with only eight seconds remaining in the game at the time of the inbounds, can I?
    no.
    Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 07:57pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    Quote:
    He's counting because he made it a habit a long time ago, so that if anything goes wrong with the clock, he'll have "positive knowledge" of what the time should be.
    Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:46pm
    Official Forum Member

I was counting out of force of habit--wish i was smart enough to say it was in case of a problem but in truth just habit